Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Rising Sun member

Just wanted to add a couple links, one of which came from rusty_tlc on MUD:
http://www.grungle.com/endlessair.html
http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/OBA/oba.htm
http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/kits.htm

The SD508 supposedly is a 5 piston compressor which can put out 9cfm and 300 psi. I think the SD510 (which I have) might do slightly more cfm.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 09-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

I bought a VERY inexpensive military HUMV hand throttle and it works awesome. I had to modify it slightly to fit my 80, but the way that it adjusts is very nice compared to the toyota one that was available. I think I might have paid like $12. I really like the way you can turn the handle counter-clockwise and dial in the RPMs to whatever you want.
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 09-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

A hand throttle is good but so are power seats.

A trick I learned from Nakman: You grab your trusty snowbrush/ice scaper and rest one end on the accelerator peddle and hold the other end in front the driver seat, then move the seat forward with the power switch. Stop the seat when you have achieved optimum engine rpm for filling tires with the onboard air.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 09-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Rising Sun member

Um, FJ40 guys, no power seats
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 09-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Lifted

Hand throttle or power seats and an ice scraper...which sounds like the sweeter upgrade?
Old 01-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Rising Sun member

Default Baby Steps...

Okay, I warned you guys this would be slow...

Got the compressor wired in today. Yep, that's it.

When I got back inside, I was like, "alright, now all I gotta do is wire in the pressure swi---"

So not quite done with wiring it in yet, I have to see what pressure switches I have lying around and figure out how I want to wire one in.

On the other hand, I ran the compressor briefly, so at least I know it works It blew a 2A fuse, so I put a 5A fuse in there and so far so good. That wobble plate sounds a little funny, just different from other compressors I'm used to. I put my finger over the outlet port, not really sure what to expect, but it seemed like the flow was lower than I thought it would be - maybe that's because I was at 800 rpm or so. I can see why a surge tank would be a good idea. We'll see how it goes, especially if I run it at a higher rpm. :shrug:

I still have to source an inlet filter and oiler (have to figure out the thread size I guess first) and pretty much all of the pressure side plumbing components, and figure out how to mount all of it up. But getting it to run was a big step
Rising Sun Bio
Old 01-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Rising Sun member

Does anybody have any input on what on OBA compressor should feel like at idle? It feels like if I were to put my hand up to my face and blow on it, it doesn't feel like 90 psi shop air coming out of an air nozzle...
Rising Sun Bio
Old 01-31-2012, 08:17 PM
Rising Sun member

Well, got a little progress tonight. A couple days ago I noticed that my electrical connectors were pretty disorganized, so I thought that I should try to fix that a bit. I know you can buy variety packs of this stuff, but I've acquired these a little bit at a time, so this will work pretty well.
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio
Old 01-31-2012, 11:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Does anybody have any input on what on OBA compressor should feel like at idle? It feels like if I were to put my hand up to my face and blow on it, it doesn't feel like 90 psi shop air coming out of an air nozzle...
Not a clue Matt but if you don't get an answer, you could always swing by sometime and we can fire up my 40 and the York and compare
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-01-2012, 12:04 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
A compressor by itself (even your home compressor) only puts out 10 CFM (few CFM more or less) Add in the storage tank and now you "compress" the air and create pressure. Just like the air from your mouth....open your mouth and breath out air onto your hand.....meh. Now blow that same air through your puckered lips and you can feel it... same air....less volume more pressure. Try sealing off the output hole from the compressor with your finger....bet ya cant.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior