Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Rising Sun member

SOR has them for $20-$90. Don't really know the difference between all of those, but...
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
SOR has them for $20-$90. Don't really know the difference between all of those, but...
Christo sells and stocks them too!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Christo sells and stocks them too!
For 80s...is it the same operational theory as the 40s?

Out of stock at the moment...
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
Old 02-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
For 80s...is it the same operational theory as the 40s?

Out of stock at the moment...
Depends on the 40. My 64 stock one was a normal pull cable that went out to the carb, 60's and 80's are the same pull twist lock to the pedal. I did put the new style in WR. Pretty simple to simply make a tab for the peddle and I grabbed the bracket out of a 60 at the salvage yard.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

There's an attempt at a group buy on OEM 80 throttles on Mud. But the queue is currently at 100+ and the guy has about 10....

Japan4x4 says he can get them for around $60 I think.

This is probably all irrelevant since I'm sure you're after 40 parts....
Old 02-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
There's an attempt at a group buy on OEM 80 throttles on Mud. But the queue is currently at 100+ and the guy has about 10....

Japan4x4 says he can get them for around $60 I think.

This is probably all irrelevant since I'm sure you're after 40 parts....
Just get one out of a salvage FJ-62. Probably cost you under $20!

TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Rising Sun member

I might have to go the FJ62 route, that looks pretty good...down the road though, getting the hand throttle installed isn't germane to getting this thing up and running.

I did some head scratching this morning about the suction and discharge connections on the compressor. They are some kind of flare fitting, right-hand thread (so not like a propane tank thread). I went to Ace and they had some, but then I looked on McMaster-Carr and it appears there are two different styles. There is a 45 flare fitting, also known as SAE, and there is a 37 flare fitting, which is for higher pressures. Since this is an automotive application, I'm assuming that I have the 45 (SAE) flare. So I'm not sure what kind Ace carries - they had short nuts like the SAE ones have, so I think Ace is carrying the SAE style.

The compressor has a 5/8" male SAE flare fitting on the suction side, and the discharge side has a 1/2" male SAE flare fitting. The only female fitting available with this system is a tube nut. So I would have to get hard tube, flare the ends, and make some adapters if I want to go to any other type of fitting, like to barbs or NPT.

After the meeting last Wednesday night, Red Fox came over to check out my progress. He suggested that rather than get a dedicated filter element like Marco has, I should tie into the clean side of my air cleaner for the suction side of the compressor. I thought that was a swell idea, and I have a port plugged off on my air cleaner that normally would have provided clean air to my air pump. The hose to fit over that port needs to be (EDIT) 1" ID (clamped connection). So for the suction side, I need to go from (EDIT) 1" ID hose to 5/8" SAE male. The only way I know of that I can make this happen is to get a 5/8" SAE-5/8" SAE swivel (two female nuts with a piece of tube in between, pre-fabbed), then a male SAE-male NPT adapter, then a female NPT-barb adapter. And then I might not be able to get the hose size I want right from those fittings, so I might have to work up to the proper hose size.

On the discharge side, I guess I can get a hose made at NAPA or somewhere that is a female SAE on both ends, then get a male SAE-male NPT adapter that I can bush down to the size I will need for my manifold.

Pretty complex, and not the purdiest solution I would like to see. Might have to do some more head-scratching.

While I was at Ace, I checked out their compressed air accessories and found an air drier, relief valve rated at 120 psi and 112 scfm (too low psi I think), and some other things. Everything is in NPT so that's where I'm going to need to get from these SAE fittings.

Also picked up some air compressor oil - I guess this will work to keep my compressor oiled?
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio

Last edited by subzali; 02-15-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah, Plumbing the intake into the air cleaner is the best way to do it in my opinion.

As far as the discharge side goes, depending on how hard you work the compressor (or plan to) think about getting something that will handle some heat.

looking great BTW
82 FJ40
Old 02-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Yeah, Plumbing the intake into the air cleaner is the best way to do it in my opinion.

As far as the discharge side goes, depending on how hard you work the compressor (or plan to) think about getting something that will handle some heat.

looking great BTW
I agree on an EFI setup but I have issues with doing it on a carb set up do to filling your storage tank with compressed gas fumes.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I agree on an EFI setup but I have issues with doing it on a carb set up do to filling your storage tank with compressed gas fumes.
very true... never thought about that one. although with the motor running to power the pump it seems like the chances of getting gas sucked into the compressor are pretty low.

man, may want to think about it...
82 FJ40