Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Matt, this is a cool project. My $.03 are.

keep it as simple as possible.

Having that compressor will result in at least 2 other people wanting to air up their tires too at the end of the trail.

Cheep 12v compressor may be slow but not any slower that airing up 3 trucks worth of tires.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post

Having that compressor will result in at least 2 other people wanting to air up their tires too at the end of the trail.

Cheep 12v compressor may be slow but not any slower that airing up 3 trucks worth of tires.
Farnham has a point...... I still leave the parking lot at the same time everybody else does.... and I get to burn more gas.
82 FJ40
Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Farnham has a point...... I still leave the parking lot at the same time everybody else does.... and I get to burn more gas.
What's the duty cycle on these types of compressors? I ask because Matt and I almost smoked my York in the 40 filling up tires a few years back on the BOWAGWR. Actually, the York did start smoking and I thought was a goner - But after it cooled down it started working again. I checked the oil level/condition afterward and it was fine
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post

Simple. Check. That's why no air tank at this time. Just trying to get from a to b.

I understand the "risk" or "cost" of having OBA installed

If it's only myself and maybe one other person (which happens often with me it seems), then it will for sure be faster (and quieter) than those cheap 12V compressors. Plus I won't have to buy 2 or 3 so I have a spare or two sitting around for when one craps out. I'll hopefully spend this money once and not have to spend a whole lot more ($50 or more a pop) every time I turn around. And seeing as I don't have a house with an air compressor yet, it will be mucho bettero than paying money at the gas station to run their stupid compressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
I usually am one of the last ones to leave anyway, not usually in a big hurry to get anywhere. Burning more gas, well, yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
What's the duty cycle on these types of compressors? I ask because Matt and I almost smoked my York in the 40 filling up tires a few years back on the BOWAGWR. Actually, the York did start smoking and I thought was a goner - But after it cooled down it started working again. I checked the oil level/condition afterward and it was fine
Your York and this Sanden should have pretty high duty cycles. The 12V ones typically don't have a very high duty cycle. Additionally, the 12V are typically more cheaply made. Treeroot lost a piston on one this past summer up at Argentine, so no more worky for that one. It could happen on one of these two (Marco lost his first York to some problems), but I think the tradeoff of cfm produced is worth it.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah, i ran mine at like 2k rpm for a while once to try and fill lots of tires and it burned up. the valve plate fried. If you let them run at close to idle they run for a long time. I have used mine for sandblasting parts at home for like an hour before.
82 FJ40
Old 02-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Your York and this Sanden should have pretty high duty cycles. The 12V ones typically don't have a very high duty cycle. Additionally, the 12V are typically more cheaply made. Treeroot lost a piston on one this past summer up at Argentine, so no more worky for that one. It could happen on one of these two (Marco lost his first York to some problems), but I think the tradeoff of cfm produced is worth it.
That was my thought given what their "normal" use is/was which is why I was surprised that day when my York seemed to seize up. I'm just not sure I'd want to be the go to guy for air for everyone after a run though - 1-2 trucks no problem...

Although to be honest, that day I was playing a lot with my ARB lockers...Who knows how long the compressor was running in total. One thing from that trip that I realized is that it would really be nice to have a PSI gauge in the cab to keep an eye on it...There's one under the hood but that is hard to see while wheeling

For reference I've also got a Viar I bought years ago for use in the LX. Usually took about 15 mins to air up 4 285s from say 15 PSI to 38 PSI. A couple times another person borrowed it after me to fill up as well so figure 30 mins pretty much contantly on. It got hot, but never quit. In fact my only complaint about the unit is the heat and figuring out a good spot to put it to cool down on the trip home.
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 02-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Rising Sun member

Yeah I remember that day your York locked up - still not sure what the deal was there. Did you ever tear into it to figure it out? Which reminds me - another year has gone by, we gotta tear into your Weber one of these days...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 02-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Yeah I remember that day your York locked up - still not sure what the deal was there. Did you ever tear into it to figure it out?
I didn't take it apart...I checked the oil level which was fine and the oil appeared to be in good condition. So, I fired it up and it seems to be working fine so - My guess is that it just ran for too long on the trail and then when filling up tires and decided to protest - I do need to verify that the pressure switch is working because with the tank, it shouldn't have to run for very long to either fill the tank or for the ARB's. You can't hear it running while driving on the trail and when it cycles it isn't really that noticeable either...A gauge in the cabin would help keep an eye on it.
TLCA #17037

:

Old 02-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Rising Sun Commander

A gauge inside is a very nice thing to have! I know you're trying to keep it simple Matt, but you're already going to have a manifold right for your pressure switch? Running a line inside the cab to a gauge isn't that tough, and can be useful.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Rising Sun member

Only going to need air when filling tires, and I won't have a tank for now so there should be no pressure in the system to speak of. KISS for now.