Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper50cal View Post
I have 2 issues with this:

1: While his anger and most of his response is justified. He needed not only to identify the incorrect behaviors, but explain why they are incorrect and why her perception of the situation was flawed (stuff like not having to pay rent or pay for groceries...general "entitlement" training). He was pissed and worked up so I get it. I would be pissed too.

2: I saw traffic going by, I saw the house. This was in a front yard in a RESIDENTIAL Area, I don't care that he was shooting into the ground. Discharging a firearm in a residential area is ILLEGAL FOR A REASON. And Using Exploding-tip Hollow Points equals using Mercury-tipped Hollow Points...and most of you probably know, Mercury is extremely poisonous when introduced to the bloodstream, and it's dense. When traveling that fast, it tends to have momentum. Anyone in the general vicinity, including himself, could have been killed. That teaches responsibility?
I don't buy your mercury argument.

Please post up the brand of ammunition and where you can buy this ammunition. Given that mercury is a hazardous class material, I find it HIGHLY unlikely that the EPA and ATF would allow the sale of an extremely environmentally hazardous ammunition to be sold over the counter to average people who could then spread mercury all over the landscape.

What I find more likely is that this guy simply has regular hollow points, and because he wants to sound like a bad ass, he claims they are "exploding" when in fact they are "expanding".

I'm certainly no expert, but I would imagine exploding rounds would be classed as NFA under a Destructive Device. Given how long it takes to get NFA classed weapons, I doubt that guy would use such an expensive and time consuming ammo to blow off steam. My best man has been waiting two months and has two more to go just to get his .308 suppressor paper work through the ATF process so he can go pick it up.

Again, I'm no expert, so if mercury tipped bullets can be had, I will certainly be surprised. From what I've seen searching around, mercury tipped bullets are more movie fiction than reality, but I certainly could be wrong. I couldn't find them on a couple of ammo sites I visit.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 02-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Although sometimes I feel like doing what he did, it doesnt send the right message or example. Kids, even when they are adults, learn more from what you do then what you say.
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 02-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I don't buy your mercury argument.

Please post up the brand of ammunition and where you can buy this ammunition. Given that mercury is a hazardous class material, I find it HIGHLY unlikely that the EPA and ATF would allow the sale of an extremely environmentally hazardous ammunition to be sold over the counter to average people who could then spread mercury all over the landscape.

What I find more likely is that this guy simply has regular hollow points, and because he wants to sound like a bad ass, he claims they are "exploding" when in fact they are "expanding".

I'm certainly no expert, but I would imagine exploding rounds would be classed as NFA under a Destructive Device. Given how long it takes to get NFA classed weapons, I doubt that guy would use such an expensive and time consuming ammo to blow off steam. My best man has been waiting two months and has two more to go just to get his .308 suppressor paper work through the ATF process so he can go pick it up.

Again, I'm no expert, so if mercury tipped bullets can be had, I will certainly be surprised. From what I've seen searching around, mercury tipped bullets are more movie fiction than reality, but I certainly could be wrong. I couldn't find them on a couple of ammo sites I visit.
They are hand loads, I've made them before. I think you are correct in that they can't be purchased. You take a hollowpoint, bore it out a bit, fill with a bit of mercury (not to the top) then wax the top. They aren't technically explosive. It "mists" the mercury upon impact and the mercury is so dense, it travels through less dense material (i.e. bodies, trees, etc.) Although that was when I was a teenager, and in retrospect it is very ill advised. Too dangerous IMHO.

But it is true that I'm assuming that's what he means.
Independent of that fact, I think it's very inadvisable to unload a clip of .45 rounds in your front yard, 30-40 yards from a sidewalk and bustling street...

Last edited by Trapper50cal; 02-12-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Oh I see. I read about that as well. That would not be NFA then. Seems like a lot of risk to put yourself in for the benefits of the mercury. But a cool thing to know about nonetheless.

Yeah, certainly not disputing that firing weapons in a yard may be a bad plan, though I don't know what the laws and covenants are out there. In Colorado it's fine to shoot on your property legally, provided it is done safely, unless it is expressly prohibited by your city, town, or county. Your covenants may prohibit you from doing so as well, but that is a civil issue.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 02-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

And we heard it on Rising Sun first

http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...-it-over-again
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 02-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl