Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 01-31-2012, 09:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
Chris, Why not just screw into the metal? seems like you're making it more difficult than it needs to be?
I did not want to screw into the metal near the tranny, because I didn't want to go through the metal and start a rust spot or allow water to have an entry path...

I did the block of wood with gorilla glue with the FJC Ham mount between the roof and headliner. It is a super easy install process, peel carpet back glue wood block, replace carpet, screw into wood block. Probably took me total of 30 minutes, and I am super slow with mods..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Icoms, like just about every other mobile radio that uses a microprocessor, have an auto power off to protect you from running the battery down.

For the IC-V8000:
  • Push and hold [SET(LOCK)] and then push [PWR] for 1 second to bring up the initial set mode menu
  • Push [SET(LOCK)] to scroll until you get the "POF-OF" function
  • Rotate the tuning dial to select between off ("OF"), 30 min ("30"), 1 hour ("1H") or 2 hours ("2H").
  • Push [PWR] to set the value and return to the regular display (the value is retained in flash between power cycles)
Page 64 in the user's manual.

I set mine to an hour, enough that if you're just monitoring it doesn't turn off too soon. Like a typical commute to work or run up to ski.
Thanks for the tip Dave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Perfect install!
You know you want one....
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 01-31-2012, 08:21 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Chris do you have a second battery? Or are you planning on getting one? Best install option, IMO, is to wire it directly to the second battery- that way it can be "always on," but when you start the truck again it won't power spike the radio- I have wired radios about every possible configuration and in my opinion this is the best way.. if you don't have the 2nd battery yet then save some wire so you can move the wires when you do.

Having the radio switched on with accessory is a bad idea, because you shouldn't need a key to monitor or transmit, and you don't need the power spike at startup. Having it wired to the starting battery direct is a bad idea, again too many power spikes can potentially let the smoke out (I'm sure there's a more valid reason than that referencing electrical fundamentals). Best option is wire it directly to the second battery.. which doubles as a nice backup voltage meter for battery 2.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-31-2012, 08:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Meh, I wouldn't worry about wiring a radio directly to a starting battery. It's only /potentially/ a problem if you have the radio turned on during cranking, which I do all the time anyway... The power in my FT-8800 has a TVS across the 13.8V that clamps spikes to 18V (Yaesu uses a P6KA18, good to 600W and 1ps response). The constant 13.8V is fed to a 5V linear regulator that is fairly heavily filtered for the microprocessor, which is always powered so that pushing and holding the power button turns on the switched 13.8V for the rest of the circuits.

The output FETs are RD70HVF1, good to 20V gate voltage, and the driving FETs are 2SK2975 (Yeasu uses these all over, the finals in the FT817ND are the 2SK2975 as well, which are driven at 5W over 160m up to 70cm up to 16V), also safe to 20V Vgs.

Honestly, these radios are designed to survive this sort of thing, I'm not too concerned. You know the heat/cool cycles and the dust/vibe/shock we hit these radios is just as bad for them as the power noise. Though you ought to wire them to the battery and not a secondary tap. The battery is a VERY good filter and the power is actually very clean tapped directly on it.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 01-31-2012, 09:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
You know you want one....
You obviously didn't read the sign language!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Rock Stacker

Wow! I've been side tracked with other projects...and work...and I still haven't gotten my radio yet. I forgot I started this thread. Very happy how it turned out, and look forward to referencing it when I do get that radio. Sheesh...I'm going to have to review the rules again by then...ha!