Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 02-22-2012, 07:05 AM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I was talking about the radio on the ISS. I run a FTM-350AR. ..
Ahh...

I made a mistake in typing my previous post, it should have said my GPS does not have serial/NEMA out, I have corrected it above. I was hoping to use my mobile rig (FT 7900) for the APRS with the Tiny Trak or something similar. I was hoping too minimize buying more stuff. My other radio is the FT-60 HT. Obviously, I have more research to do....

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
I run a FTM-350AR.
are you using standard or smart beaconing?
Old 02-23-2012, 07:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smslavin View Post
are you using standard or smart beaconing?
I typically use smart beaconing. I set E33 values for low speed to 2 and high speed to 45, slow rate to 30 minutes, fast rate to 90 seconds. The intermediate period seems to be typically about 3 minutes but I don't know if that's adjustable.

For regular periodic beaconing I set E14 values for interval to 2 minutes, low speed to 2, decay to 'on' and rate limit to 30 seconds. I sometimes use this for commutes because I'll get in a handful more positions.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 02-23-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I was talking about the radio on the ISS. I run a FTM-350AR.
Ha, when did you get this one? Like it?
http://bestcamptable.com/
KD2KDK
Old 02-23-2012, 11:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

So far so good. Got it a month or so ago now, sold some stuff to consolidate a bunch of random bits into one radio. I miss the memory groups from the FT-8800 and the Hyper Memory, but that's about it.

The radio otherwise is pretty neat. I like the voice alert, something that I couldn't do easily with the FT-1500/TT4/GPS-18 combo. Also having the station list and other APRS function built-in is super nice compared to dragging a laptop or the LCD display and keyboard for the TinyTrak.

I'm using the Yaesu FGPS-1 internal chip and it seems to occasionally take a few minutes to get its brains, must be fairly slow when updating its almanac compared to other receivers. Could also be the location, which is right above the rear view mirror under the roof, so might more time to lock on to signals. If it's got up to date almanac data, it seems lock within 15 seconds, which is cool.

I actually interfaced it to a Nuvi 350 and got the stations showing up as waypoints. I don't leave the GPS in the truck but it'll be nice in groups with others who have APRS beacons running.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 02-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
I typically use smart beaconing. I set E33 values for low speed to 2 and high speed to 45, slow rate to 30 minutes, fast rate to 90 seconds. The intermediate period seems to be typically about 3 minutes but I don't know if that's adjustable.

For regular periodic beaconing I set E14 values for interval to 2 minutes, low speed to 2, decay to 'on' and rate limit to 30 seconds. I sometimes use this for commutes because I'll get in a handful more positions.
Thanks for those settings. I've got my low speed at 5, high at 70, slow at 10, fast at 60. Forced a transmit and it shows up at aprs.fi. I need to lower the high a bit since the truck very rarely gets over 65. I'll probably monkey around with it this week.

It was kinda fun, in a geeky sort of way, watching it pick up all the other beacons near the house. Probably won't be on all the time as the non-stop beeping will more than likely drive my wife nuts.

I've got another question for you but it's off this topic so I'll start another thread.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

That's why I set high at 45, that really IS high speed for my truck...

Old 02-27-2012, 07:57 AM
Trail Ready

Smart beaconing? Periodic beaconing? Decay to on? Once you've got it all dialed in, do you actually talk to someone on the air? Like the HK dxpedition to Malpelo Island last month?

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is currently for sale
Old 02-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Miller View Post
Smart beaconing? Periodic beaconing? Decay to on? Once you've got it all dialed in, do you actually talk to someone on the air? Like the HK dxpedition to Malpelo Island last month?
I heard a few brief pileups from the DXpedition, but summers are much more enjoyable working in the basement without the furnace constantly running (it's a menace both audibly and RF-wise). Plus having to go low key hidden wire has tremendously wrecked my effectiveness at home. :-(

But to the point, you can voice alert on your beacon. This is essentially a 100Hz tone/squelch that when your radio transmits a packet it will momentarily open the squelch of any radio set to listen for CTCSS-encoded signals. So it will stop muting and the operator hears the TX.

You know the sound, like you remember from years ago, the sounds of a modem connecting. When you hear this you can do one of a couple of things. QSS on 144.390 using phone with your call sign. This is just a notification, "AC0VH on 146.520" and that's it. The other station(s) will NOT reply on 144.390 but will QSY to the frequency you announced.

Alternatively, you can check your station list to see if anyone's last position report included something like "VA 146.520", "Voice Alert 146.520" or "Listening to 146.520". No one says anything on 144.390 but does CQ on the frequency listed in the position report. I have my radio beacon (on the secondary side) on every packet in the first optional data field post-pend the other side (main side) frequency the offset and tone. This happens regardless on every packet.

Most commutes I just ragchew and so I do not set the voice alert (e.g. 144.390 with DCS 023 set only on RX so that I never hear anything open the squelch) if I'm chatting, but potentially anyone who checks my packets will see what repeater I'm talking on at that time. Other times when the regular crew is not on or I don't feel like talking about the current subject, I dial up the memory location for APRS with the TX/RX CTCSS tone. I set my primary side to 146.520 most of the time when I do this and I've made a couple of contacts that way.

It would be a great way to let you know if there are other hams you would like to talk to in the area. For example, if more RS hams had APRS beacons running they could set their radio voice side to 146.460 and set a different (than the WB4APR suggested 100) tone on the beacon, say 103.5Hz, which would open the squelch only for any other RS ham within simplex range. If you hear a APRS packet, you then know to call out on 146.460. Think of it as APRS radar in a way.

I have made a few 'contacts' from the YL, but that's via the POTS when she notices I'm moving and near King Soopers. That may not be a selling point, though.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
I heard a few brief pileups from the DXpedition, but summers are much more enjoyable working in the basement without the furnace constantly running (it's a menace both audibly and RF-wise). Plus having to go low key hidden wire has tremendously wrecked my effectiveness at home. :-(

But to the point, you can voice alert on your beacon. This is essentially a 100Hz tone/squelch that when your radio transmits a packet it will momentarily open the squelch of any radio set to listen for CTCSS-encoded signals. So it will stop muting and the operator hears the TX.

You know the sound, like you remember from years ago, the sounds of a modem connecting. When you hear this you can do one of a couple of things. QSS on 144.390 using phone with your call sign. This is just a notification, "AC0VH on 146.520" and that's it. The other station(s) will NOT reply on 144.390 but will QSY to the frequency you announced.

Alternatively, you can check your station list to see if anyone's last position report included something like "VA 146.520", "Voice Alert 146.520" or "Listening to 146.520". No one says anything on 144.390 but does CQ on the frequency listed in the position report. I have my radio beacon (on the secondary side) on every packet in the first optional data field post-pend the other side (main side) frequency the offset and tone. This happens regardless on every packet.

Most commutes I just ragchew and so I do not set the voice alert (e.g. 144.390 with DCS 023 set only on RX so that I never hear anything open the squelch) if I'm chatting, but potentially anyone who checks my packets will see what repeater I'm talking on at that time. Other times when the regular crew is not on or I don't feel like talking about the current subject, I dial up the memory location for APRS with the TX/RX CTCSS tone. I set my primary side to 146.520 most of the time when I do this and I've made a couple of contacts that way.

It would be a great way to let you know if there are other hams you would like to talk to in the area. For example, if more RS hams had APRS beacons running they could set their radio voice side to 146.460 and set a different (than the WB4APR suggested 100) tone on the beacon, say 103.5Hz, which would open the squelch only for any other RS ham within simplex range. If you hear a APRS packet, you then know to call out on 146.460. Think of it as APRS radar in a way.

I have made a few 'contacts' from the YL, but that's via the POTS when she notices I'm moving and near King Soopers. That may not be a selling point, though.
That's some great info. Thank you. This stuff just gets cooler and cooler the more I get into it. I'll listen out for you on 5-2.