Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 07-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks everyone. Just back from my 1st ride with it. And to put my lack of skills into context. Today was day 3 on singletrack and my 6th time ever on a motorcycle. I lasted a whole 45 minutes before I tested out the bark buster, turned the bars sideways and did the tuck and roll down the embankment over a log. I droped it a few more times but not at speed. The reklus is the greatest thing ever. I've been a mountain biker for 20+ years. Having the rear brake on the bars has given me control of the rear brake. It'd be nice to have the front brake on the left and rear on the rt MTB style, but I'm adjusting. I'm useless at finding the rear foot pedal. I'm starting to get the peel out the rear wheel thing. sort of.

I learned to crash in 1st gear my first day. 2nd gear my second day. Rode in 3rd gear on trail on the third day. I'm making progress an have more than gotten my money's worth out of my protctive gear.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

have you bought stock in advil yet?

john (johnny) henley
Old 07-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

800mg last night, 600mg this morning. Anyone that thinks riding a motorcycle is less work than a mtb is wrong. My arms and back hurt as much as my legs and rear end ever did.

I don't think I could get a mayo jar open to save my life.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Some of the best athletes in the world are motocross racers, bar none. As proven in medical testing.

Hey, there are some great dirt bike courses around, including through MSF. Also, my friend Ned Suesse is a former A class enduro rider who gets some side money from first rate dirt classes, any level. He is a superb instructor. And former MTB rider. Search www.advrider.com for Neduro and 'class' (user name).
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

That site is dangerous. My wallet is crying in agony already.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

Wait till you vi$it ADVrider.com.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

Bbbbrrrrruuuupppppp!!!!$$!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Well 60 emails back and forth to Farnham later, and with the funding created by one less Land Cruiser in the garage, I have finally joined the KTM family here.

I'll get a picture up tonight. 2007 KTM 250 XCF-w. street legal, wide range transmission (6 speed), 4 stroke.. ~230 pounds. Short term needs are some protective gear for myself. Then probably upgrade the stator and do some turn signals, steering stabilizer, maybe the auto clutch. Also want to learn more about the "ham in the helmet" mod that Bruce did. Today's project is insurance and registration, will take a picture tonight!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Also want to learn more about the "ham in the helmet" mod that Bruce did.
This guy worked good for bike (the human powered type) commutes. Minimal wind noise, not too awkward. I liked it until I left it someplace and now it's gone.

http://www.mckayproducts.com/store/C...t-Headsets.htm

The one thing I did not care for was that the band around the back of my head did not work super great with any helmet yet. Also can't say I liked having the boom in front of my face 'cause I'd smack it with the water bottle every danged time.

So I'm thinking of getting a earphone type to see if it works better, probably the kind that picks up vibration through your ear. One thing to avoid are throat mics, they sound terrible unless you get the ones that go for $200 and up and even then it sounds like you're swimming or in a fish tank.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 02-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Rising Sun member

Nice Tim! I've got a 2008, it's not a bad bike! Not sure why you need turn signals or a steering stabilizer, but a Rekluse or similar is cool if you get into stuff where shifting is a pain.

Don't hurt yourself.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD