Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 03-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

I've though about a ht to carry in my pack, most of where I go I can hit repeaters. Seems like a good idea for emergencies. While Bruce's set up is cool, part of what I enjoy about riding is the peace and quiet. I don't need or want to talk while I'm riding.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Well this mod took a step back, or forward this week.. depending on how you look at it. I installed the remote kit into my helmet, and it's super tight on my ears- I couldn't take it. so out they came, I'm hoping to return the kit am waiting to hear back from them... hey anyone want to buy it?

I can run ear buds inside the helmet, and aside from a little difficulty when taking the helmet off, don't even know they're in there. So that's the direction I'm going, a little simpler. I ordered this one for the VX7:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:L:OC:US:3160

And I ordered this one for the VX-3
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ht_1050wt_1309

Both will allow me to monitor all the time, probably with an HT in a camel back. I may need to stop to talk back.. but hey we'll try that for starters.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

That looks like the MFJ-283 I tried, although quite a bit cheaper. I was not impressed with the MFJ, the ear mic didn't sound good although the ear phone part was OK. In any case I had to put a piece of tape over it to keep it in my ear, the fit is sorta weird. To work they have to sit down in your ear canal fairly far. This is sorta blocky and the curve didn't follow my ear, but it was also not very supple and didn't conform and would pop out.

So I'll be curious to see if you find the same things I did. If not and this one works better, $20 is MUCH easier to take.

FWIW, the bone conduction mic concept does seem to work, the signal reports I got weren't any worse while riding than while standing still. I was told I was unreadable, very narrow response. I wondered if I had the right PTT circuit, it must measure 2K between the mic line and ground with the PTT pressed to work. If this is built wrong it will cause bad audio, but I didn't want to throw away $40 opening the little box to see and I ended up sending it back to MFJ. :-(

The ones I've seen from Motorola, bone conducting mic ones I mean, work well. But they cost a couple of hundred to a few hundred dollars. These are typically used by first responders and military when they're wearing SCUBA gear or otherwise would have their faces covered. Plus they are waterproof.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Rising Sun Commander

So I received a note back, there's another part I can buy, the earphones adapter (part number EA-1). That allows me to unplug the headphone portion, then plug in any type of ear phone. Putting that up here just to save the info, I think I'll hold off and see what the Chinese bring me, which may be good enough.

It's not like I need to rag chew or anything, just want to be able to hear someone calling me, and be able to call out when I need to.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
So I received a note back, there's another part I can buy, the earphones adapter (part number EA-1). That allows me to unplug the headphone portion, then plug in any type of ear phone. Putting that up here just to save the info, I think I'll hold off and see what the Chinese bring me, which may be good enough.

It's not like I need to rag chew or anything, just want to be able to hear someone calling me, and be able to call out when I need to.
Has this shown up? Just wondering if you've had a chance to give it a test.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Nope, should be this week though.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Ok, I got the earphone thing for the VX-7r today. Anyone up for a quick QSO tonight? name your repeater.. preferably one I can hit with an HT from the house, and better still one that's already programmed into it.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

I ragchew on 449.450 during commutes. Should be ~5:30 tonight. I can also monitor whatever you want, 145.310, 147.225, you name it.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Rising Sun Commander

How about later, like 8:30? I'll shout out on 145.310 if it's not busy, if it is then 145.460.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

OK, will be listening at 2030.