Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 03-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Top end rebuild

Time to tech up this section of the forum with some graphic photos of my work in progress. Purpose of the tear down is to get is ready for the upcoming season. I've replaced the piston and cylinder on the PW-80. Never tackled a 4stroke before. Purchased a timing chain tool and went at it today. Also disassembled the Reklus clutch. I'm about 4 hours into the project. Piston had some carbon I cleared off, cylinder looks perfect to me. The valves/seats look good to me an still have adjustment left in tappets, but I'm sending it out anyway unless someone thinks I'm wasting money. Any feedback welcome.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Did you have to remove the brake lever to get the case off? Or do you not have a brake lever since that's what your clutch was?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

Any particular reason you are redoing the top end? What are the symptoms?

I've not had the XR650 apart to that degree since 2000 (never in other words). Never even did the KLX300 though I removed the cam compression release and put in a manual and recarbed and reexhausted and...
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

Like Tim, I too like to take things apart. Part of what I enjoy about motorcycles is the pieces are small enough to deal with by myself and I can afford the tool and down time on the bike.
Symptoms, Hard to start after events like looping the bike or tumbling down ravines.

Sent the head to Dave Hopkins in WA, to polish and re-valve, about $300.

I've got a JD jet kit and feel I have it set up about right. I've adjusted the valves, a handful of times. Plug looks good to me. I replace them about every 3500 miles
Was the teardown necessary, probably not. But I purchased the bike used with 1,600 miles on it. It's now just over 9,0000. I want to know that I'm good to go for the summer. I believe the service interval is 9,5000 miles for KTM. I wanted to give it a good clean and replace any worn parts.

List includes, rear wheel bearings and seals, Chain and sprockets, plastic chain guides around swing-arm, upper shock bearing, kickstart seal, carb cleaning and re-jet.

There is a little more drag in the Reklus than there used to be, inspected clutch plates/carrier for wear or anything out of the ordinary.

Mostly just giving it a good look through.

Tim I removed the brake pedal last summer when I changed the clutch cover gasket(big one) I punched a hole in my clutch cover last summer and am installing a new one. I think the foot brake is unnecessary for me and is just waiting to punch another hole in the cover when it's on there.

It there somewhere to get carb breather/overflow tubing in bulk instead of the $80 KTM set?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post

It there somewhere to get carb breather/overflow tubing in bulk instead of the $80 KTM set?

What's special about that tubing compared to fish tank hose, or something else you could get at the Depot? Is it higher heat resistance or something? I discovered two of my lines are cracked, down at the bottom of the carb where it all scrunches through some tight opening. Thought about replacing it, but then thought what difference does it make if stuff oozes out there, or 3" lower?

edit: Like here's a 50' role for $31.. did I guess correct on 1/8" ID, 1/4" OD?
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

yea - I just used the bulk clear tubing from the hardware store on mine. Nothing special as far as I can tell....

So are you replacing the piston/rings, or just having the top end cleaned up?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

You want the tube to be fuel resistant. The stock tube is polyurathane. The hardware store tubing (tygon) is pvc and is not very fuel resistant. I bought a 10 ft length of tube from Sun. It wasn't really cheap but its less than KTM OE
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 03-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

10K miles, yeah, that makes sense. A few years ago I went through the XR pretty thoroughly though not a top end tear down. The chassis, including swingarm bushings, bearings, etc, definitely needed it and they tend to ship from the factory with, um... 'minimal' grease.

Guess I'm old school on clutches and foot brakes. Made the big switch from left to right after the Bultaco and I think I still have active synaptic paths from that one.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

Found some. But it's orange. http://www.ktmcyclehutt.com/ktm-part...tment=bigbikes
Old 03-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Cleaned the box. There is a good amount of wear on the aluminum subframe where it meets the plastic. I carry a good sized fender pack that rattles the rear fender pretty well.
Attached Images