Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 01-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

The cheapest adapter will only have 1-2db insertion loss. 15 db? I doubt it. Even at 2db it's mach's nix if you bugger threads on the SMA rendering the radio useless. A well made adapter, with a wide base, will reduce the amount of torque to the SMA connector.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
P I would be surprised if a SMA-BNC adapter had even 2dB of loss. No way they have 15dB, that seems like a dropped decimal and was maybe 1.5dB. Just one man's opinion.
I hate using this forum on my crackberry, sorry for missed decimal.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Yeah, found what I was looking for.

http://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/SM-BF50+.pdf

"Insertion Loss (dB) 0.05 (typ)"

That's from DC to 2GHz.
That's about the same design as the one I looked at so many years ago, pretty narrow o.d. and not much support at the screw collar. Attenuation is way better than what HRO quoted me tho.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Lifted

Dave,

Thanks for posting up that picture of the diamond adapter. I have been using the style shown in your first picture. The j-poles we made were attached with pre-installed bnc connectors to double shielded coax. I'll try and find the Diamond style.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
Old 01-31-2011, 08:35 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Default VX3r vs. VX-7r

I have noticed a significant different in receiving capability, VX-3r to VX-7r. I have one of those longer Diamond antennas that greatly improves send/receive quality. I also have an antenna on my roof, a portable J-pole, point being I've tested this with a variety of antennas. Bottom line, the VX-3r does not receive as well as the VX-7r.

Can anyone explain this? I had been under the naive impression that their performance difference would be on the transmit end, since the 3 has so much less power. But I can screw the rubber duck to the 7, and the better Diamond to the 3, and the 7 hears the Colorado Connection repeater tone while the 3 just sits there. When I connect either my J-pole or homebrew roof antenna to the HT's, I consistently receive signal reports that the 7 is better... ok that makes sense but when they transmit back I hear the same thing. The Vx-3R does not receive as well as the VX-7r.

I still think the little 3 is a great portable trail/camp radio, and it has met every need I've come across in those situations. I'll continue to recommend it for a "second radio," once you've got a solid 2m mobile big in your truck. But I'm a little disappointed in its receive capability, compared to the VX-7r.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-31-2011, 09:10 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Yeah that makes sense Dave, and out in Moab or in my pocket out on the trail it's the perfect little radio. But in my basement, when I can keep all other variables constant, the difference is significant.. not the best 2m base station platform.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-31-2011, 09:46 AM
Rising Sun Member

Wouldn't receive performance be somewhat related to (battery) power as well? The vx3r would have less power to work with since the battery is so much smaller as well right? I know that my bendix radio I use for Forest service work is definitely worse at receiving and transmitting a signal when the battery isn't fresh.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Thanks, Dave, I'll read through this tonight or tomorrow night when I have more time..

so when you're up at 04:30 surfing around Ham Radio archives, are you up early, or still up?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default HRO sale Yaesu FT-250

Just saw this http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010075 not a bad price for that radio. I have an FT-250, a VX6R and one of d'em Wuoxun dual banders. I'd have to say, the ft-250 is probably my favorite of all of them due to the simplicity and upward facing screen.