Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 03-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Wincher

Question headlamp bulb issue

Looking for some info regarding a quirky occurrence!

My son-in-law has a 2006 Tacoma and seems to be replacing headlamp bulbs regularly every 6 months of so. He is using the Sylvania Silver Star bulbs. Sometimes it’s the left side, sometimes the right side bulb. This seems odd to me; as I have the same truck and have yet to replace a light bulb on it!! Has anyone run into something like this before? I told him to check the voltage at the battery, while the engine is running, to see if it looks like it may be over-charging.

Thanks,
Jim
3" Revtek lift, 16x8 Eagle Alloys, 285/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac,, Shrockworks Sliders, Cobra 75WX ST CB, BudBuilt Skid Plates, Daystar Rear Bumper Guard, ARB front Bull Bar, Warn 9.5 XP winch, CO2 tank, Yaesu VX-6R Dual-Band Ham radio
Jim
KD0MGU

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

http://www.sharetrails.org/

“Preserving Our Natural Resources FOR The Public, Instead Of FROM The Public!”
Old 03-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

That would be the first thing to check. You might have an ohmic ground at the battery or motor ground too, allowing the voltage from the charging system to float a bit. Check at the battery, at the headlights, maybe a couple of places to see if you get any variance to speak of.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 AM
Rising Sun Member

I've had the same issue with SilverStar bulbs and daytime running lights. The folks at Sylvania responded to an email I sent a few years ago and said that shorter life is expected with DRLs. My 04 Taco has DRLs, so maybe that's contributing to the frequent replacement?
Old 03-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Rising Sun Member

Agreed - Silverstars have a shorter life. It's probably a way Sylvania guarantees to sell more bulbs.

I'd also check and make sure he's wearing gloves when he does the bulb changes. Any oils or other contact dirt/grease on the glass can reduce the life of the bulb
Old 03-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

My Silver Stars don't last so long but I have never checked dates. I use them less often now during the day because of that but I love them at night.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

Hmmm, I use Silverstar H4 bulbs and have no issues. I also use an aftermarket headlight harness but if anything that delivers more current/higher voltage.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Agreed
I'd also check and make sure he's wearing gloves when he does the bulb changes. Any oils or other contact dirt/grease on the glass can reduce the life of the bulb
I already quizzed him on that. He doesn't touch the bulb surface when installing them. I suggested he go back to the stock halogen bulbs, to see if the problem continues. But, he runs the Silver Stars for my daughter, cause she said she needs the better light! Yeah, it's her Taco (well she drives it mostly).
3" Revtek lift, 16x8 Eagle Alloys, 285/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac,, Shrockworks Sliders, Cobra 75WX ST CB, BudBuilt Skid Plates, Daystar Rear Bumper Guard, ARB front Bull Bar, Warn 9.5 XP winch, CO2 tank, Yaesu VX-6R Dual-Band Ham radio
Jim
KD0MGU

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

http://www.sharetrails.org/

“Preserving Our Natural Resources FOR The Public, Instead Of FROM The Public!”