Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-24-2012, 06:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default What a difference

Well I have been stuck on Slow Mode with internet since we moved into the Mountains. The most reliable service was with Qwest. A slow 1.5Mbps. Well we got a card in the mail saying we could up grade to 7Mbps. I had heard we were going to get faster service here in Sunshine for a while. After the fire took out a bunch of wires(both xcel and Qwest). Qwest deceded to install optical fibre hub near the fire station on Sunshine county RD. Well it has only taken a little over a year for Centry link(formerly qwest) to start to upgrade every one.
Well, in talking to the rep from CL, we could get up to 20Mbps. I did not believe them, but ordered it any how. I hooked it up last Wed night and did some testing. Yes, we can test out a bit over 20Mbps on our lines.
All I can say is the internet is a whole difference experience now, and it is a real pleasure to have the higher speed. One good thing also, it did not cost us any more per month to get the higher speed service, we acutally are saving a couple dollars a month with the new service. Funny how that worked out.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Club Treasurer

I had a similar experience here in Conifer. Called to upgrade from 1.5 to 7 mbps. They told me I could get 20 and it would be cheaper than my (then) current service if I bundled it with my phone. There was also no contract. So I did it and now I pay $10 less per month. 20 mbps rocks compared to 1.5!

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 03-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

I recently upgraded from 1 to 10 Mbps with Century Link. Now I can watch Netflix while my daughter is watching something else. The downside is that my modem now makes it difficult for a computer to join the network. I don't know if its a setting or my ancient Actiontec modem but I have to frequently reset it for a device to get access to the network.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 03-24-2012, 09:03 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I ended up buying a new modem from Century Link when we upgraded our service. They said the old one couldn't handle speeds more than about 8 Mbps.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

We've been on 20/5Mbps DSL since 2008, it really is fantastic. Although a lot of the Internet has caught up and so it's a little less ridiculously fast now. :-) When we upgraded we punted the land line and our price stayed the same despite losing the bundled price of a dial tone and 7Mbps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
I ended up buying a new modem from Century Link when we upgraded our service. They said the old one couldn't handle speeds more than about 8 Mbps.
It's possible since doing 20Mbps requires an ADSL2+ compatible modem and the older ADSL and ADSL2 specs topped out at 8 or 12Mbps (depends on a few things). A bigger problem right now is the >20Mbps jump since to get 40Mbps you'd need an ADSL2+ modem capable of channel bonding and two circuits from the pole. I have an older refurbished ADSL2+ 2Wire 2701HG that I bought from Qwest for $99 that has been rock solid for years now, but it doesn't support port bonding even though our house is qualified for it.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

Century Link upgraded our subdivision last fall. We went from 2 to 8 mbps. Huge difference. I can only imagine 20
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

welcome to the information age. Now Davis can skype with you when he has wrenching questions
TLCA#4180
Old 03-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

CL doesn't do DSL at the top of N. Turkey Creek, so I was stuck with Skybeam (slow) or Comcast (fast but $$$). I must say I am quite content with Comcast speed.

Name:  comcast.JPG
Views: 34
Size:  49.8 KB
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.