Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Katie, the kids, and the zoo and I are ok, the fire is about 10 to 12 miles away and up wind for the time being.
99 F350 reserve hauler
03 F350 crew cab dually the bigger hauler
04 Lance 1121
90 fastiva dd still going
KDDHQ
Old 03-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyfj40 View Post
Katie, the kids, and the zoo and I are ok, the fire is about 10 to 12 miles away and up wind for the time being.
Good to hear!!
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Wind seems to be pretty calm now, on the drive home the smoke was rising pretty straight up. Hoping it stays that way for all involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 03-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

We are OK, 7 miles or so from the fire. Luck of the draw regards the wind. Evac area is up to S. Turkey Creek (we are N. Turkey Creek). The wind has reversed itself in the last couple hours (good news for Deer Creek/Ken Caryl/Lockheed Martin) which seems like a) it will blow back on itself and b) the SW edge might flare. In fact down by Waterton it did, but the tankers were all over it like Uncle Ben on Rice. It is laid down now.

Keep praying.

Donation information (copied from Pinecam.com):

=Food, Bottled Water, Gas Vouchers, Grocery Store Gift Cards=
Mountain Resource Center Conifer & Evergreen (phone 303-838-7552 or web mrcco.org) - 11030 Kitty Drive, Conifer, CO 80433

=Clean Sheets, Towels, Blankets=
Red Cross Shelter @ West Jefferson Middle School (new evacuation site as of 6:00pm tonight 3/27) - 9449 Barnes Ave Aspen Park, CO 80433

=Clothing Donations=
Mountain Metro Association of Realtors - 1524 Belford Court, Evergreen, CO 80439
Please bring clothing and slightly used shoes to the MMAR office by Friday, April 6th to be distributed to fire victims. Children's clothing and shoes especially needed.

Creative Minds Early Learning Center (phone 303-838-2627) - 27071 Barkley Road Aspen Park, CO 80433
We are setting up a donation drop-off spot in the lobby for clothing and supplies for any families that may need them. Please keep in mind that these families are displaced and don't have room for much. We will also be accepting cash donations and gift certificates to help them through this tragic time. We know they are looking for clothing for their boys, sizes 3T and 5T, and we are sure they would appreciate some clothing for themselves as well.

=Personal Hygiene Items=
The Early-Group (Coldwell Banker) (phone 303-674-7020) - 25997 Conifer Road, Unit C, Conifer, CO 80433; or
Mountain Metro Association of Realtors - 1524 Belford Court, Evergreen, CO 80439
We are also conducting a drive for personal hygiene items for distribution through the Mountain Resource Center

=Foster Puppies=
Creative Minds Early Learning Center (phone 303-838-2627) - 27071 Barkley Road Aspen Park, CO 80433
We also know they are looking for a home for their 2 - 6 month old puppies (brother and sister golden retrievers)

=Financial Donations=
Mountain Resource Center Conifer & Evergreen (phone 303-838-7552 or web mrcco.org) - 11030 Kitty Drive, Conifer, CO 80433
Colorado Red Cross - Mile High Chapter
Elk Creek Fire Department Auxiliary (phone 303-816-9385) - 11993 Blackfoot Rd, PO BOX 59, Conifer, CO 80433

=Volunteer=
Prepare sandwiches for firefighters and evacuees - Angry Llama Cafe (Journey Church) (phone first 303-862-2209) - 5071 Highway 73, Evergreen, Co 80439

=Food Donations=
*Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office requests that no additional food donations be brought to the command post at this time.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have been keeping this in my thoughts since I heard about it this morning. I am glad that it has not turned on too many houses at this time. My heart goes out to the two older peoples family that pass away today. Just hope the Fire fighters get a good hold on it before any winds kick up. I also hope they find the woman that is missing up there.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

How's everybody doing this morning? Man, it just dosent sound good.

we have space for vehicles, and extra bedroom, and some space in the safe if somebody needs it. we are going to be out of town, but can coordinate if somebody needs it.
82 FJ40
Old 03-28-2012, 08:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
How's everybody doing this morning? Man, it just dosent sound good.

we have space for vehicles, and extra bedroom, and some space in the safe if somebody needs it. we are going to be out of town, but can coordinate if somebody needs it.
The usual RS attitude, thanks Marco! Here is hoping the fire turns on itself.

Hopefully the loses that have occurred to date remain the loses till the fire dies down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 03-28-2012, 08:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

You rock, Marco! Doing well here. Saw the Blackhawk helos this morning circling the burn area. They are using those, plus a single engine slurry bomber, plus a heavy tanker slurry bomber to dump on the blaze. Still 0 containment but the smoke has really died down. Winds are calm up here which is a real blessing.

Someone living near Riley Peak (googlemap it) took these of the tanker making a run...

FWOOMP!

This is the view from his living room (looking NE -ish) yesterday afternoon:

I would probably be cleared out if we were that close. I know people with lotsa critters did whether told to or not. Our EXCELLENT vet (large and small animal plus hospital, several horses in critical care, plus a cow after C-section) was just inside the edge of the evac area and had to bug out. Can't imagine... That would be Aspen Creek Veterinary if anyone up here needs the best vets in the area.

Some nut probably to the right of Attilla the Hun was decrying gubmint telling people they had to leave, like that was a Hitler gubmint leading the sheeple, on a 9News story comment. Retired Lockheed Martin engineer.

Too much trichloroethylene absorption? Only explanation I can come up with. The irony of him living on government contract escaped him.

God bless the family of the Lucases (age 77 and 76, found inside and outside a burned structure). One woman from the burn area is still missing and her husband is beside himself at the command center.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

We're not going on our vacation as planned.

This thing is starting to look favorable... but one windy day could cause a fire explosion and need to evac the dogs. I am remembering this whole fire started from embers from a week-old controlled burn that was OUT. It was 5 acres on Monday noon, 300 by evening, and 4500 the next day, all due to the wind.
KDRCH
Bio Page
Old 03-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

Hmmm...
Quote:
The fire will be actively engaged from the air today. The air support resources available today include two Heavy P2V Tankers and one SEAT plane dropping fire retardant and four helicopters conducting water drops. These aircraft will be supported by additional command and observation planes. Additional resources are being ordered.
That's good!
Quote:
The weather forecast for today show winds becoming increasingly southwest with speeds in the 8-14 MPH range with gusts up to 20 MPH specifically around the higher ridges. Humidity is expected to drop relatively low by mid afternoon to around 10% or less.
ugh... that's not so good.
KDRCH
Bio Page