Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/...ts_battery.htm

Dual battery LED Indicator should tell me everything I need to know as well.

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 03-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeoffroad View Post

Also, what Tim was describing is a alarm to warn you that you are killing the battery. It is designed to do that so you don't kill the battery.
I get that, but to be clear the only way I'd be in this situation would be by a conscious effort in linking the two, in which case I'd like to think I knew what I was doing. This is like camping with someone's whiny annoying friend who can't relax.

IOW, it was nice of you to loan me your battery so I could run my fridge down a little colder this evening. But if you're going to rub it in my face every 30 seconds then you can just have it back, I'll just cook the rest of this meat right now and drink warm beer the rest of the weekend.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-27-2012, 06:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
I get that, but to be clear the only way I'd be in this situation would be by a conscious effort in linking the two, in which case I'd like to think I knew what I was doing. This is like camping with someone's whiny annoying friend who can't relax.

IOW, it was nice of you to loan me your battery so I could run my fridge down a little colder this evening. But if you're going to rub it in my face every 30 seconds then you can just have it back, I'll just cook the rest of this meat right now and drink warm beer the rest of the weekend.
Yes, I can see that. A simple switch in the main battery sense wire should enable you to do just that. I have to look at the time interval for the warnings and see if it can be set.

I can also see where Fishy is coming from re: the simple switch. My problem is I will forget it on or off and normally that would be the wrong setting. We normally do the dual battery systems for redundancy and having them auto isolate is what we prefer. If you forget to switch the manual switch and one of the kids leave the dome light one, you are also going to loose both batteries and then you are stuck.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeoffroad View Post
Yes, I can see that. A simple switch in the main battery sense wire should enable you to do just that. I have to look at the time interval for the warnings and see if it can be set.

I can also see where Fishy is coming from re: the simple switch. My problem is I will forget it on or off and normally that would be the wrong setting. We normally do the dual battery systems for redundancy and having them auto isolate is what we prefer. If you forget to switch the manual switch and one of the kids leave the dome light one, you are also going to loose both batteries and then you are stuck.
I don't exactly have a horse in this race, so just responding for the thrill of continuing the argument. Remember the 100 shuts those domes off for you after a few minutes, even if you leave the door open. And even if they didn't, I have a feeling two AGM's would power an LED dome for days on end. plus I have jumper cables.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
I don't exactly have a horse in this race, so just responding for the thrill of continuing the argument. Remember the 100 shuts those domes off for you after a few minutes, even if you leave the door open. And even if they didn't, I have a feeling two AGM's would power an LED dome for days on end. plus I have jumper cables.
Replace dome with DVD player, WII, late maker or any other device. I just don't like a redundant battery system that relies on the operator to disconnect. I think it defeats the purpose.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
I went and picked up a battery disconnect switch today. Picked up an 8 Place fuse panel as well. $49 for both. It won't let me isolate the batteries during normal use, but it will let me do exactly what the IBS does (minus the lights and alarm) for $360 less. The fuse panel and switch both fit perfect on the Slee 100 series battery tray.

The switch (mechanical solenoid) will always remain "on" unless I want to only use the aux battery. In that case, i will have to physically turn it to "off".
I'm interested in hearing how it works out for you

Cost wise I think you might not come in quite that much under the IBS system...In the kit I received they include battery cables, terminals, etc. Unless you weren't planning to use that stuff anyway, then sourcing this stuff will be an additional cost to your solution...maybe $50-$100 depending on what you source.

Still, I'm still looking for something convincing to go with the IBS system other than my dilemna of not having enough grasp on all of this to put something together on my own
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
I'm interested in hearing how it works out for you

Cost wise I think you might not come in quite that much under the IBS system...In the kit I received they include battery cables, terminals, etc. Unless you weren't planning to use that stuff anyway, then sourcing this stuff will be an additional cost to your solution...maybe $50-$100 depending on what you source.

Still, I'm still looking for something convincing to go with the IBS system other than my dilemna of not having enough grasp on all of this to put something together on my own
Good points, I spent $24 for a Cole Hersee switch. I'm guessing $50 on battery cables. The 8 place fuse panel I would have bought even with the IBS, so I don't count that as extra. Even if I spent $175 dollars on wires/cables (no way will I spend that much) that's still $200 less than what I spent on the IBS + RBM.

I think the bigger issue for me is the reduced wiring, reduced connections and the confidence that i truly understand the very basic system. That IBS system had a lot of connections and small wires plus lights and alarms. Honestly, I'm still not smart enough to understand what it does better than a basic set up.

I like nice stuff as much as the next guy, but if I don't understand how to use it when I need it, it defeats the purpose for me. Granted, I have to be more vigilant to ensure I isolate the aux battery when I pull into our camp spot, but that's as basic as ensuring I have enough gas, or emergency provisions. As long as I wire my camping accessories to the aux battery, and make one flip of the switch, my kids can leave stuff on all day and night, it will only drain the aux battery.

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 03-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

dont underestimate the cost of copper...

Of course, if you run small gauge stuff it won't be too bad.
82 FJ40