Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Trail Ready

Default Boulder Machine Shop?

Hey all,
I am planning to take my head to Gunn Automotive down in Denver, based on lots of past recomendations on here in the past. But I was wondering if anyone has any Boulder Based machine shop recomendations that are just as good? It would save a couple hours each way & a ton of gas if there is a place here in Bulder that can rebuild the head/valves on my 74, so I figured I would check into it.

Thanks,
abe
Old 03-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

pm Robbi - powderpig. he has a place but I don't know who it is.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Trail Ready

Hi All,
I thought I would update this in case someone else is searching in the future. Basically there are no machine shop options in Boulder for the most part. There is one in Longmont, but I'm told it is somewhat pricey, so I didn't look into it.
Based on comments I've seen here & Robbie's recomendation, I dropped my head off at Mountain High Performance down in Arvada. Cool guy, super cool dog! and they are really knowledgable. He says the basic clean & re-do is roughly $175ish.

I'm having him deck the head some if it is still in tolerance, and also put in new, slightly larger Chevy valves (also something Robbie turned me on to), to let it breath better (plus they are brand new & handle unleaded better, etc...). Somewhere around $200 for the upgrade, but I will list the actual total when I get the head later.
They are also going to tap/plug the oil journal hole for me as well, so they can really do it all. Now I just have to hope my head is in good shape, with no cracks. I'll post up more for posterity when I have the total bill & such.
Best,
ABe