Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 03-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Lifted

I have an Alpinestar jacket that is completely black/plain except for a small A-star on the left chest. It was very hard to get and all the sport bike dorks wonder what the hell I was thinking not getting something loud and obnoxious. I absolutely love all my Alpinestar gear. All my street gear is AS and my MX boots too.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

Nak, think dualsport. That would mean textile not leather.

I absolutely LOVE FirstGear Kilimanjaro stuff. The overpants breathe well, and have a removable rain liner that WORKS. The jacket has a fleece liner that makes the unit good from 30* to 80+. For hot weather or off road, I have a GREAT MSR Gore-Tex enduro jacket that folds up and fits in my backpack. Been caught in the rain in the woods too many times to not ride with it handy - you can go from sweating and 85* to hypothermia in ten minutes. BTDT. No fun. The jacket makes the difference, and makes dirt riding in the rain a hoot.

For boots, the very best and most comfortable boot I own is a pair of Sidi Discovery boots. For one thing, few dirt boots are water resistant. Most let ALL the water in as if they were mesh or something. Never happened in the old days, go figger. They are my favorite boot - they are adapted from trials boots and don't *quite* offer the same protection as maybe Alpinestars top of the line MX boots (I have a pair of those too) but... all around, they rock for dualsport use. If I could only have one pair of boots, from dirt to street, these would be it.

For pure street a mesh jacket would make commutes good in summer and traffic jams. But the Kili has lots of venting and if I can keep moving JUST A LITTLE, it's good. Dang Buell puts out a lot of engine heat though... but the overpants actually help with that and also breathe well.

<edit> Oh, and for footwear, yeah, don't buy over the web unless you know the product. You need to walk around in it for a half hour in the shop. However, I have bought great stuff (including a pair of retro leather jackets from Scorpion) from NewEnough.com at some incredible prices. I would do it again. Just read the reviews and talk to the people about sizing.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

+1 on the cordura & FG/Sidi. The only thing I don't like about Sidi boots is the squeeking. I've been looking for a good deal on the new Adventure boots.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

Ouch.
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...cle_boots.html

Not sure that sole would work for me... too much to hang up.

Not cheap either:
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Ride...ery%20Boot.htm

Mine don't squeak by the way...
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

If they could put the sole of the Discovery including the toe kick on the Adventure as well as the third cam buckle and get rid of that huge patch of velcro I think the Adventure would be just about perfect. I hate velcro. That's the one thing I don't like about the Cayenne. Too much velcro. My right sleeve is starting to wear from it.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

What's your deductible for emergency room visits? I bet it's more than those boots.