Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 03-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Age to start?

At what age should kids start to ride? Must be able to ride bicycle and stop with a hand brake. If you can't pick it up and kick start it, you can't ride it. Our kids started at age 5. never did motorcycle training wheels. Got a '04 Honda 49cc 4stroke, 3speed clutch-less, and all the protective gear (total about $1000) When Justine could start to ride on the Honda. We added a +05 80cc yamaha 2stroke 3 speed clutch-less. The kids grow out of them fast but you can sell a used bike for about what you paid for it. We are pretty strict about other kids riding it without proper equipment at camp. We can go for 20+ mile trips together as a family already at ages 6 and 7.
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I'd like to agree, they need to be able to ride a real bike w/o training wheels, that's been our rule at least. however it's probably easier to ride one of these little dirt bikes than it is pedal a bike down the street. Every kid is different though, they all learn at different rates. Yes understanding the concept of stopping is important.

We got Gavin his bike for his 6th birthday.. could have been a few months too early, beyond putting on the gear he wasn't that into it. His friend got one for Xmas, and now that they've ridden together he's a lot more into it. and he's super amped now that I've got one, it's all we talk about. Well, when we're not talking ninjas, or Star Wars, or Legos. But he's still in 1st gear mode, he knows how to shift just not comfortable with it.

I suspect Violet will be on a similar path as Justine, in that she's got a big brother to watch, mimic, and keep up with.. she's already riding the Strider bike better than he did at 3, and I bet she'll be rocking a real bike within the year. Will be fun to watch, I told her I'd make Gavin's bike more pink for her when she's ready, then it's maybe XR80 time for the boy. Time will tell, hopefully they're both still into it.
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

That's awesome.

Hey... I think I have some smallish MX boots somewhere in a box in the basement. If anyone is interested we could work out a trade for some barley pop or something.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Hey sure Bill I'll gladly take them, will add them to the MX gear collective here... we'll see which boy they fit next and allocate appropriately.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Lilah's been in training since she could walk. Bought her a Stridor a few months after taking her first steps. As soon as she can pedal/ operate a handlebar break she'll be getting a moto!!! I think we're about a year out
Attached Images

1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 04-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Sweet! Our daughter is rockin' the Strider right now as well. Hoping she can pedal before the end of the year, as her brother will be able to move up by then. We took him out yesterday, and had to almost pull him off the bike after 3 hours- never seen him that excited to do anything, for so long, ever. I was especially proud when he crashed, then picked the bike up himself, tried to start it himself, realized the run/off switch got flipped by himself, then flipped the switch, started the bike, and kept riding. There were lots of adults around but he did the whole thing, very proud dad day.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

We'll probably sell the CRF50 next spring. It's got pink grips.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
We'll probably sell the CRF50 next spring. It's got pink grips.
Please keep me in mind when you decide to sell it.
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Lifted

I'm not going to lie, it stings a bit to see this. My only child thus far is a girl about to turn 6 and she has NO interest in motorcycles. NONE. I tried my hardest for years to sway her that way and I've since realized she needs to just be who she is and I love everything she is but I really had hopes that she would ride. Bikes of all flavors have been so important to me for my whole life that it's hard for me to understand how the fruit of my loin wouldn't share the same passion for them. What do you do, though? She's my angel.

Maybe if I got an all pink bike that looks like a unicorn with princess stickers all over it and it played Disney music out the tailpipe....anybody seen anything like that?

I do enjoy seeing families sharing such a wonderful thing. You all are very lucky!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy the Cat View Post

Maybe if I got an all pink bike that looks like a unicorn with princess stickers all over it and it played Disney music out the tailpipe....anybody seen anything like that?
Actually I could see doing a build very similar to that.. our son's CRF is definitely going to get girled up for its next rider, not sure about the Disney out the tailpipe though...

Hey one thing you could try is take her to that track up on I-25 & the Greeley exit. There's the kid area up top, and often you'll see at least a couple girls on little 50's cruising around right with the boys. They will usually let you in to watch for free, if you ever want to kill an hour and have a picnic on the tailgate or something.

www.gamiviti.com