Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Notices

Old 04-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Cool tip with the baby powder!

So ok to ask a dumb question, you just carry a spare front tube? And if you get a rear flat just shove the front tube in back? I guess that's what Farnham said by 21"... sorry just clicking in now.
yep, front works on the front and you can jam it in the rear wheel to get you home too

I run heavy tubes and havent had a flat yet (knocking heavily on wood) and changing tubes sucks with moto tires, you are 1,000,000x better off learning in your garage
Old 04-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

One of my favorite trail side flats was a nail in the rear tire. I put the bike on the kick stand. Undid bead lock. removed one side of the tire. Removed offending nail from tire and pulled that section of the tube out far enough to patch. Stuffed tube back in. Reset bead, pumped and was on my way. Never had to remove rear wheel. It was awesome.

I've had one that was mosquito heaven and a total nightmare rear tire removal and patch that didn't hold, so I had to repeat process. That time I wish I had CO2.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have had CO2 be really reliable. you just gotta find an inflator or head thinggie that works. I have had several that sucked and one that I kept and is awesome. I usually burn a few cartridges at home figuring out how to best use whichever I end up with. that's how you get to like one. Not on the trail.
82 FJ40
Old 04-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

First off, I run heavy tubes. Then, 21" tube for front or rear, carry it in a fender bag (front) made for the purpose. Also have room to stuff a CO2 kit, six little bottles. But I've never used it. Really. Not in 40 years have I had a flat offroad.

I probably just jinxed myself royally...

I do run minimal pressure, 14 front, 12 rear, thick walled tires with rim protection. In big rocks I might run a bit more.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

For tools I put multitools in an MSR pack and wear it. I have a little tool pouch from Moose on the rear fender of the KDX but it mostly has spark plugs and a cool little plug wrench. A T-tool is awesome with an 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm socket, and Scott makes a mini ratchet that is awesome and light too. Allens, crescent, multi screwdriver, pliers, that is pretty much it. And a plug wrench for the XR, like it ever needs it. Might if I drowned it though!! Oh yeah, don't forget the epoxy putty, baling wire and duct tape.

Seriously. Fixed a BMW GS sump on the White Rim once with it. He rode it all the way back to Denver with nary a weep. Fixed the Thunderpig's clutch cover with it too, took 6 jagged parts and made one cover with a neat pattern in it. Epoxy putty is the schizz.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Cool tip with the baby powder!

So ok to ask a dumb question, you just carry a spare front tube? And if you get a rear flat just shove the front tube in back? I guess that's what Farnham said by 21"... sorry just clicking in now.
Yep
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 04-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

On older bikes I weld a 2" piece of 1/4' rod to the left rear axle head. I bend the tip of the rod so that it fits just inside of the tire adjustment sliders. With this installed it only takes 1 wrench to get the rear tire off/on because it prevents the axle from spinning while trying to loosen the bolt. Manufacturers seem to have gone to a similar set up the newer bikes. Just keeps some "wrench weight" off your back.
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 04-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Oh yeah, don't forget the epoxy putty, baling wire and duct tape.

Seriously. Fixed a BMW GS sump on the White Rim once with it. He rode it all the way back to Denver with nary a weep. Fixed the Thunderpig's clutch cover with it too, took 6 jagged parts and made one cover with a neat pattern in it. Epoxy putty is the schizz.
I just added a package of epoxy putty to the spares kit. I've read numerous comments on case repairs using the putty.

I also recently got an Ogio vest to try instead of a backpack. I'm not totally sold on it yet but its pretty neat. I need to get some trail miles on it to gain some confidence that its better than a backpack.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 05-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I remember last night the next mod I need to do: ditch the straps that came with the fender pack, and bolt the thing directly to the fender with some (no pun intended) fender washers. I'm glad I didn't lose my new bag while out in Moab.. and noticed more than a few times at least one of the buckles coming free. I'm going to bolt the sucker down.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

And i needed the 21 inch tube in back trick. it worked in Moab well... heck it is still in the back now.. so did the CO2 tank mounted to the 100 that was acting as our magic chase vehicle . that was the best spare to have
82 FJ40