Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Sweet. It looked kinda goofy when you drove to the meeting with it off and your quarters cut, but with the bumper back on all's well again
It did look a little weird, but then again, I look a little weird...so there's that
Old 04-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

Looks wonderful!
You may want to consider moving the spare higher.

DAMHIK...
I moved mine higher in three steps, each time going, "SERIOUS??!?" Finally no more issue. It did prevent some rollover damage due to being so high now... BONUS!
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks Bill,

The tire carrier section is adjustable, so at least I won't have to cut anything to move it further up if I need to. Looking forward to hearing the story that prompted you moving yours...

BJ
Old 04-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

The original bumper, "designed" by Scott at Rockstomper (mind you, Scott is a good guy... but his brother Brian is a better engineer), had the spare held on by allthread. OK, simple enough, but a pain to remove, and allthread is only so strong. So I moved it up. Well... it kept dragging on boulders, which would eventually break the allthread. I moved it up again, thinking it was silly high. Still happened.

So I finally engineered a mount that would use lug nuts, as well as providing a place for a spare locking hub or flange. I can't tell you how handy the latter has been. As for the former, it was strong enough to act as part of a roll cage when I rolled the Chili, and it prevented a great deal of damage (not to mention providing safety) in that event.

Yeah, it's high... but amazing how low high can be in some situations, when you got a buttdragger such as yerself.

KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Looks wonderful!
You may want to consider moving the spare higher.
Some of us just have to learn the hard way...

Never got around to moving the tire up prior to Moab. A couple whacks on Fins have convinced me that there is no time like the present! No permanent damage, but it took some "engineering" back at camp to get things straight again. At this rate, maybe I should have skipped the swing-out and put the thing on the roof!

BJ
Old 05-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

You don't want it on the roof. What a pain to get off there when you need it. Don't feel bad I'm going to move mine up and closer to the body too. Mind you I didn't hit mine on anything in Moab last week
2004 Starcraft 10RT