Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks Jeff, I am going to go with the Engersoll Rand, since Lowe's price matches, and it is on sale at Northern Tool and Tractor Supply. The difference is about $90 and their reputation is unmatched in home use.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 10-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
If anyone is interested, I have a cast iron twin cylinder air compressor with 5hp electric motor, but it has no air tank. It works fine, has the mounting plate for everything, you just need an air tank to mount it on.

If anyone is interested, come look at it and make me an offer I can't refuse.
Dad gum ya... where were ya a month ago when I practically gave away a DeVilbiss that needed a full rebuild??? LOL Your pump woulda fixed me right up.

I bought a Husky oiled that looks to be a fine unit. Haven't had a chance to plumb it yet though so I dunno. Sprung for the extended warranty just be case.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

My garage compressor died over Christmas, and I'm looking to get it replaced finally. For the longest time, I had my eye on the Kobalt belt driven 30 gal unit that had a ton of good reviews.

Kobalt 30 gal

But I guess it's been redesigned a bit, and quality has deteriorated - more plastic, cheaper materials, and more issues reported.

Would you guys consider buying a unit online? Besides getting raped by shipping charges, I'm concerned with warranty issues if I would need to deal with any problems. Northern Tool has a couple of decent units of similar spec:

Puma:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5339_200455339

Morgan Recondidtioned. I've heard this might be the same compressor as the old Kobalt unit.

Reviews of both units above are good. I think I've seen Puma's sold locally somewhere (can't recall where though), and I know the 12v units have good feedback on Mud. I'm probably overanalyzing this stuff, but I want something that I can keep for a while. My specs are basically a 115v unit (230v is a nice option but not required) with around 5 cfm or more. That should be more than adequate for 90% of my needs.

Thoughts?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

I need the same thing! My Craftsman is just over a year old of light use, but it is rattling like it is about to blow up. Serves me right for buying an oil-less unit.
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 05-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Lifted

I'm glad you guys discovered the Kobalt. I bought one 2 years ago to replace a cheap ceased unit. It kind of fell in my lap, I found it on sale as an open box buy for 30% off. After using it 3-5 times weekly, I would not hesitate to buy it again. It's quiet, and i mean quiet! For how much air it is pushing, i would describe it as a smooth purr. and runs any tool I can feed it. It's no 100 gal 20HP unit but works great for mild daily use. Highly recommended.

I change the oil once yearly and call it good.

I noticed the photo of the 30 gal compressor you linked jacket looks like a 1 cylinder unit? Mine is a twin which I think really contributes to the recovery speed and quietness.

Name:  image-1856784598.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  77.7 KB
Old 05-15-2012, 06:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have a Kobalt 60 gallon that works very well, smooth and quiet.

FWIW, I went to Harbor Freight and priced a similar size, printed a copy of the add and went to Lowes. I was astonished that they matched the price of the HF unit, which was of lesser quality. You might try that.

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"