Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 05-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

I can't imagine the tongue weight would work out well with towing too! Maybe with a load equalizing hitch arrangement, dunno. And of course ANY play WHATSOEVER will result in some hair-raising sway.

DAMHIK...

Pretty cool by itself though. I wouldn't put two bikes on it...
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I agree Bill, I could see doing 1 bike on there, then one on the trailer, but 2 bikes trailer is well in excess of my 500 pound load limit.

Plus, it looks really busy back there- any sharp turn and you'd crush the bikes with the camper.. as it is already I have to watch one of my tail lights when backing up, or it'll hit a tie down bar for the bike mount on the trailer. One of my motives for just modding the camper is getting the bikes back and out of harm's way when towing, plus allowing for access to the rear hatch even when it's all hooked up.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

I was thinking one adult bike and one pint size bike (for me).
Old 05-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

How about using ^that^ on the back of the popup, assuming you can add the receiver hitch to the popup in a way that is structurally safe?

I agree that using one of these right off the back of the rig would add more tongue weight than something further back toward the axle of the popup.

What tongue weight is typical for you now and how does the popup tow? If it tows great now then I would do what you can to keep the tongue weight as close to what it is today. Heck, you could do some tongue weight tests before you get too far down the road and see what is acceptable to you.

I know for me with the 80, the tongue weight I end up with when I have just a full propane tank on the front of the trailer is about perfect. A little less than perfect with a battery in the battery box. With a battery, and two full propane tanks up front like I had for the trip to Area BFE for CM10, the popup towed like poo. On the trip home with 1 empty and a 1/2 full propane tank and the batteries moved inside closer to being over the axle it towed great again.

I guess what I'm saying is that even though per Toyota you can have say a max of 500lbs of tongue weight doesn't mean you are going to be pleased with how the camper tows...find the sweet spot and try to stay as close to that as possible.

Here is a fun read (start at page 12) --> http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/a...-h-8083-1a.pdf

If you could find some of the inputs needed then you could use the same formulas used to determine CG on aircraft for your popup
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 05-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

My old pop up had a tounge weight around 100lbs and towed beautifully. What I liked about it was that I could hitch and unhitch the thing by myself. I had only to get the ball close to the trailer socket and I could pop the thing in place. Once the tongue weight exceeds 250lbs, it becomes a bit more difficult to get things lined up - especially if you are on uneven ground. I thought that putting some of the moto weight on the truck (rear carrier) and less on the trailer would keep the trailer in a manageable range. Also as the trailer gets longer, backing it up to manuever gets harder.

Also, it might be worth investigating a class 4 receiver to increase the weight limit.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 05-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Well I think it's fair to say I'll most likely transition from a Class III receiver to a completely unrated, untested, you'll die if you even use it, integrated receiver hitch- like you have.

"they" say that ideal tongue weight is 9-15% the total trailer weight. I think I will be in the 2200-2800 pound range depending on load and quantity of bikes. So while attractive, I think 100 pounds is going to be on the light side..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
Also as the trailer gets longer, backing it up to manuever gets harder.
I'm the opposite...

IMO longer = easier

Shorty trailers are squirrely IMO...Although you need more room to manuever the longer trailers so there is a tradeoff
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 05-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Club Treasurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
I'm the opposite...

IMO longer = easier

Shorty trailers are squirrely IMO...Although you need more room to manuever the longer trailers so there is a tradeoff
Ditto. Give me a 45 foot flatbed tractor trailer rig any day over those twitchy little stubby adventure trailers. You can drive backwards for days no sweat.

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 05-16-2012, 07:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Long trailer short truck = happiness.

Short trailer long truck = need to become very adept at planning.

Of course... I now have a short trailer and long truck.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

seriously dude. go write the flipping check and be done with this nonsense.

http://www.campingworld.com/rvsales/...r-toyhauler/7/

every time I have tried to make the best of both worlds, I end up with the mediocre of one. just food for thought.

j

john (johnny) henley