Old 05-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default NME magazine's Top 100 80s songs

NME's Top 100 80s songs

Not a bad list of pop music.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:02 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

This is a weird list to represent the 80s. If you read the comments, you could compile a way better list.

The 80s mean different things to different people. Cyndi Lauper and Fugazi both were 80s artists, right? There were a whole lot of music genres that define the 80s:
* New wave
* Hip Hop
* Hardcore
* Alt rock
* Hair metal
* Speed metal
* Electronic music / Industrial
* Goth

I'd be interested to see a top 50 list for each genre.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
* New wave
* Hip Hop
* Hardcore
* Alt rock
* Hair metal
* Speed metal
* Goth

Probably be hard pressed to find 50 decent songs in some genres... Hair bands are something I'm guilty of having a few LPs from my youth. Hey, we've all committed sin and redemption only comes with acknowledgement and asking forgiveness.

I'm not sure there was an alternative genre in the 1980s. In the 1990s fIREHOSE was alternative but in the 80s the Minutemen were just 'that freak Armbruster' punk music. Anything not played on KHTR maybe.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

There are some good ones in there - but no Beastie Boys? Sheesh.....

RIP MCA.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

El TOP12 de Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth)

Aprovechando la visita de Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth) a nuestra tienda, nle pedimos que nos hiciera su TOP 12 de canciones. Aquí va su selección!

Top 12 punk-rock songs by Thurston Moore.

Algunos de los discos clave para disfrutar al máximo los conciertos!

01. RAMONES

The Ramones (Sire, 1976)
Beat on the brat

02.DEAD BOYS

Young loud & snotty (Sire, 1977)
All this and more

03. SEX PISTOLS

Never mind the bollocks (Virgin, 1977)
God save the queen

04. PATTI SMITH

Horses (b-side Arista, 1975)
My generation

05. GENERATION X

Generation X (Chrysalis, 1978)
Your generation

06. THE POP GROUP

Y (Radar, 1979)
She is beyond good and evil

07. THE MENTALLY ILL

Gacy's place (Alternative Tentacles, 2004)
Gacy's place

08. STICKMEN WITH RAYGUNS

Some people deserve to suffer (Emperor Jones, 2002)
Christian rat attack

09. THE FALL

Early years (Faulty, 1981)
Psycho mafia

10. NEGATIVE APPROACH

Total recall (Touch & Go, 1992)
Nothing

11. FLIPPER

Sex bomb baby (Subterranean, 1988)
Sacrifice

12. THE RAINCOATS

The Raincoats (Rough Trade, 1980)
In love

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-15-2012, 10:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk
This is a weird list to represent the 80s. If you read the comments, you could compile a way better list.

The 80s mean different things to different people. Cyndi Lauper and Fugazi both were 80s artists, right? There were a whole lot of music genres that define the 80s:
* New wave
* Hip Hop
* Hardcore
* Alt rock
* Hair metal
* Speed metal
* Goth

Hey don't forget Grunge. The big three (Nirvana, Sound Garden, Pearl Jam) all got their start in the 80s. They shaped modern pop/rock.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 05-16-2012, 01:21 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy! View Post
Hey don't forget Grunge. The big three (Nirvana, Sound Garden, Pearl Jam) all got their start in the 80s. They shaped modern pop/rock.
I think it's stupid to list these bands as 80s bands. They may have had their start in the 80s, but their success all came in the 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I'm not sure there was an alternative genre in the 1980s. In the 1990s fIREHOSE was alternative but in the 80s the Minutemen were just 'that freak Armbruster' punk music. Anything not played on KHTR maybe.
Seriously? Alternative was still alternative in the 80s.
The Pixies
The Replacements.
The Smiths.
The Cure.
Camper Van Beethoven
REM was alt.rock until Green.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

Pixies and Replacements were punk to me, Replacements at least until they kicked out Bob Stinson and Westerberg morphed them into the Sire records thing.

Smiths, Cure, CVB, REM, I'll concede they were something else and so alternative fits. We used to call that college rock when I was in high school. At 15 or 16 we did not think much of those bands and the people who liked them, much like the real punks who thought our music was crap. A buddy loved it, especially CVB, though so we'd have to listen to it and it did influence my taste. He endured the metal, hardcore and punk that most of the Hell On Wheels liked (we all had surplus 2nd Armored Division patches). He mentioned Uncle Tupelo, which he sold me on because "Those guys like Black Flag", and hearing them in 1990 changed a lot of things musical for me. None-the-less, I did see the John Hughes movies and listened to commercial radio, so what kids now think of as "The 80s" sorta does stereotype our generation.

Alternative then is probably most all early/mid 1980s to late 1990s rock that was influenced and spawned from punk. Punk is probably just the trifecta of 'London' - Pistols/Clash, 'CBGB' - Dolls/Ramones/Gen X and 'Decline of Western Civilization' - Black Flag/X/Germs reacting to pop, prog rock and new wave. Punk really only lasted a year, maybe two. Just about everything we listened to was influenced by it but was something else, whatever we call it. If you think about it, punks shoved us down the right path once and for all, even if they thought including synths, acoustic guitars or dobros and making 2+ minute songs was stupid.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk

I think it's stupid to list these bands as 80s bands. They may have had their start in the 80s, but their success all came in the 90s.
Pshhhh. Thanks But I can agree with that. All but Pearl Jam did have moderate success in the very late 80s (ie Bleach, Nirvana, 1989; Louder Than Love, SG, 89) and soundgarden even signed with SST in 88 making them a first. And a huge success mind you.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 05-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

But that's hardly enough to make a list out of. :shrug: