Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

my .02 is To start with the Delorme and Benchmark maps for colorado and utah.

Colorado I prefer the Delorme, utah I prefer the Benchmark.

From there I usually use the National Forest maps. They generally have the most relevant info on trails, #'s, campsites, and information that I want and cover a large enough area that I don't need to carry a box full like Dave.

I have a few National geographic maps but they generally consist of a smaller area and only have "some" off trails on them. Useful for popular areas but then again I have a map to get away from those areas. They do provide more relief than NF maps so that is helpful. Same with the lat 40 maps. While they provide more detail it's packed in. It depends on the area how helpful it can be.

The massy and wells books are ok for general info. Sometimes they have relevant info on trail features that you would otherwise miss if you didn't have one or just relied on maps or didn't have someone in the group with that knowledge.

Sometimes, like the swell, the blm or county has a map of the recreation area that often has the best info.

I've been debating for years to get a gps and I totally think it's almost required hiking some trails in utah. I haven't sprung for one but i think i'm going to get a garmin 20 or 30 with colorado and utah. I can find my way around colorado fine but some places in utah with the canyons you can get lost easily. It's no wonder the outlaws favored it. it's not that I don't mind getting lost but I don't have the time like i used to
TLCA#4180
Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

I like the National Geo maps. How to build up your library of maps? My wife has all of the numbers that I would like to have - great stocking stuffers. I now have all of Colorado and most of Utah and other western states.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

Maps gotta luv 'em. I too have a box of maps from everywhere I have lived and traveled to. Some are new and some are old. They consist of all the ones mentioned in this discussion. My old M.O. was to look at the Forest service maps and then get the Topo's needed for that backpacking or camping trip. Now I start with the Gazetteer and then get more specific be it the TI or Topo's as needed. But like we say I still have that big box of maps to use when needed.

Anyone have an old old Rand McNally travel atlas where the speeds in Montana were posted as "reasonable and prudent". Ahhhh, the good ol' days.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
IHow to build up your library of maps? My wife has all of the numbers that I would like to have - great stocking stuffers. I now have all of Colorado and most of Utah and other western states.
Love the stocking stuffer idea!