Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Wincher

Question aux fuse box

What seems to work out better; adding an aux. fuse box under the hood or inside the cab? Pros and cons??
3" Revtek lift, 16x8 Eagle Alloys, 285/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac,, Shrockworks Sliders, Cobra 75WX ST CB, BudBuilt Skid Plates, Daystar Rear Bumper Guard, ARB front Bull Bar, Warn 9.5 XP winch, CO2 tank, Yaesu VX-6R Dual-Band Ham radio
Jim
KD0MGU

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

http://www.sharetrails.org/

“Preserving Our Natural Resources FOR The Public, Instead Of FROM The Public!”
Old 06-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

I would say it depends on what you want to power. Mine is inside as it powers my fridge, HAM, NAV, and other electronic stuff inside. Only one set of supply wire to run to the box. If it were for lights, rad fan, or other exterior stuff I'd put it under the hood. I'm getting ready to do a 2nd one under the hood for just that kind of stuff. Maybe a 3rd in the cargo area for circuits back there. Personally I just hate running long lengths of wire. Rather do one big power feed to the general area then branch out with shorter circuit lengths.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Yeah, that ^^^ short answer is both, and if you can only do one at a time, what are you wiring up?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

Toyota put my fuse box in the cab (FJ40) so I repeated it when I added one.

This is my write up on Mud. Hope it helps.

My opinion is if you are able to install it inside, then I can't think of a good reason not to, unless you will be passing LOTS of wires back and forth through the firewall.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 06-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
Toyota put my fuse box in the cab (FJ40) so I repeated it when I added one.

This is my write up on Mud. Hope it helps.

My opinion is if you are able to install it inside, then I can't think of a good reason not to, unless you will be passing LOTS of wires back and forth through the firewall.
Look in your Sequoia- Toyota put a fuse box in the engine bay too

If you're wiring up OBA circuitry, fog lights, driving lights, engine bay lights, rock lights, electric fans, a horn that plays Dixie... The bulk of that can remain in the engine bay, with minimal wires poking through your fire wall for switches. I'd lean towards a fuse block in the engine bay for that, keeping most the juice in the engine bay as well with relays, etc.

Rear seat heaters, aftermarket stereo amps, fridges, tv screens, 12v outlets... I'd probably put those on the fuse panel inside the passenger compartment.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Look in your Sequoia- Toyota put a fuse box in the engine bay too

If you're wiring up OBA circuitry, fog lights, driving lights, engine bay lights, rock lights, etc. The bulk of that can remain in the engine bay, with minimal wires poking through your fire wall for switches. I'd lean towards a fuse block in the engine bay for that, keeping most the juice in the engine bay as well with relays, etc.

Rear seat heaters, aftermarket stereo amps, fridges, tv screens... I'd probably put those on the fuse panel inside the passenger compartment.
I agree, if you are not passing wires through the firewall to power accessories (just switches) then yes, the engine bay is just fine. I would use shrink wrap and keep it up out of the elements as much as possible. Blue sea makes great products for our application.

And Tim, we all know a Sequoia does count

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 06-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Jim - I can't find the pictures of my install, but I put my Blue Sea block behind the back seat of my double cab, and mounted it to that plastic barrier that separates the back of the cab from the seats. I ran a large wire (can't recall the gauge) through the firewall and underneath the plastic caps on the floor below the door to feed the block, with an in-line fuse near the battery. From there, I ran power to stuff in the cab, and ran some wires out the back of the cab and into the bed.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

I ran two...one on firewall, one under pass seat. I also ran a 6 ga to the back of the truck for an inverter and extras back there.
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 06-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Wincher

Question looking for info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
I ran a large wire (can't recall the gauge) through the firewall and underneath the plastic caps on the floor below the door to feed the block, with an in-line fuse near the battery. From there, I ran power to stuff in the cab, and ran some wires out the back of the cab and into the bed.
That sounds pretty good. Just so I understand it better, the heavy gauge wire from the battery to the fuse block, had an "in-line" fuse in it? I would think that it should, just in case there was ever something that shorted-out.

I'm looking to power the CB and HAM radios, so I thought about putting an aux fuse block in the cab. However, I do want to add some exterior driving lamps, so maybe an additional fuse block under the hood would be a good way to go.

decisions, decisions
3" Revtek lift, 16x8 Eagle Alloys, 285/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac,, Shrockworks Sliders, Cobra 75WX ST CB, BudBuilt Skid Plates, Daystar Rear Bumper Guard, ARB front Bull Bar, Warn 9.5 XP winch, CO2 tank, Yaesu VX-6R Dual-Band Ham radio
Jim
KD0MGU

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

http://www.sharetrails.org/

“Preserving Our Natural Resources FOR The Public, Instead Of FROM The Public!”
Old 06-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr350jja View Post
That sounds pretty good. Just so I understand it better, the heavy gauge wire from the battery to the fuse block, had an "in-line" fuse in it? I would think that it should, just in case there was ever something that shorted-out.
Correct. Close to the battery and on the big power wire. If you can calculate you amp draw for all your anticipated accessories, then pick a fuse size that is 10% higher or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Dr350jja
I'm looking to power the CB and HAM radios, so I thought about putting an aux fuse block in the cab. However, I do want to add some exterior driving lamps, so maybe an additional fuse block under the hood would be a good way to go.

decisions, decisions
If it is just driving lights in the engine bay I'd just wire those directly to the battery. The kits usually come with an fuse on the wiring. Keep it simple.