Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Dog View Post
What about if we go as a small group, or alone a week earlier or whatever... There have been multiple times i have come across fallen trees on a trail where some Bozo's have built a new, unwanted bypass around the tree....
I hate seeing that.

But i want to follow any forst service rules, so if the certification allows me to cut them up and re-open up the real trail when not part of such an event (to limit Liability), then it i still worth getting from my perspective...
36 CFR Part 261 Section 6 covers Prohibitions regarding the use of forest timber products.
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...1.33.8&idno=36

Specifically,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 36 CFR Part 261 Section 6
The following are prohibited:

(a) Cutting or otherwise damaging any timber, tree, or other forest product, except as authorized by a special-use authorization, timber sale contract, or Federal law or regulation.
I think Chris and I are in agreement and it sounds like we've both heard the same story coming from the Clear Creek Ranger District. The Forest Service will not allow volunteers to cut trees, as the FS could be held liable for any accidents. From reading the CFR it looks to me like any cutting (chainsaw or bowsaw, doesn't matter) is technically prohibited unless you have authorization. That may vary depend on the forest you are working in and what kind of relationship you have with the rangers. My personal thought is that the rangers would probably prefer to have a road clear of trees than bypasses created, so if you're cutting a downed tree while out bouncing around in the woods in order to clear the road then I would suspect that wouldn't cause too much of a problem. Your call though.

A lot of people obviously do that, since I just received word that Argentine is pretty much clear at this point, and just back in April when I went up there last there were probably still 15-20 trees blocking the road, which was still 5 or more less than we encountered in December. So someone's been up there cutting and clearing. And it hasn't been the Forest Service, they're still trying to open campgrounds and other established areas.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 06-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

From a personal view I will choose to remove an obstruction before going off trail. If someone happens to have a chainsaw and uses it on public land for the betterment of the road all the better IMHO. (Just don't use it and claim volunteer hours with the FS.)
That works for me- I would also add if you get hurt don't go crying to the FS...

Interested in the class though, schedule pending.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

My boss said she'll pay for the class and will find a way to make it work with my schedule, I'm a go for this.

2008 FJC (SRTBUS)

"In-justice is a threat 2 justice everywhere" MLK

"I remain just one thing, and one thing only- And that is a clown. It places me on a far higher plane than any politician." Charlie Chaplin
Old 06-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Wincher

Very cool. First source was dry - working on second.

I'll let you know what I find out. With the fire season going berserk, the focus has changed a bit for the Forest Service, but we'll see.