Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Cats burned out because it had a CEL?

Was it running super rich or something?
82 FJ40
Old 07-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Rising Sun member

Looks like the upper plenum brace gets removed and from reading on MUD some long ratchet extensions will get you there from underneath. Sounds like the VSV can be checked pretty easily per the FSM. Need to check for dry/rotting vacuum hoses. Not sure what/where the vacuum modulator is, maybe I'll find a picture of it or figure it out once I'm under there.

Oh, this thread has good pics of how to reach the VSV (and shows the long extension):
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...v-spanish.html

Maybe I should move it to the fender like this guy:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...ml#post3793644
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Cats burned out because it had a CEL?

Was it running super rich or something?
Not really sure now, it's been a couple years...I thought it was more recent than that, boy time sure does fly fast...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 07-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Looks pretty straightforward but typical PITA Toyota

I've taken the line over the last few years that if I'm likely to have to repeat the "fix" down the road then I'll tackle and learn how to do it - like the front axle service. If it is something that is likely to be a one time deal then I'd rather let Ben do it, like the VSV. I figured the first one made it 14 years and 100K+ miles so it won't be something I'll have to ever have done again...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 07-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
tricks to getting to stuff in impossible locations, like the VSV, without dismantling 1/2 of the engine. ... As I recall it had to do with LONG ratchet extensions coming up from below
Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
from reading on MUD some long ratchet extensions will get you there from underneath. Sounds like the VSV can be checked pretty easily per the FSM.
Yes and yes.

See also "" He checked and verified good VSV in mine in short order.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Took the LX in for its e-test today...Lucked out and there was only 1 vehicle in the AWD line in front of me...About 10 vehicles 15 minutes later

Based on Nemo's experience with 315 Toyos and my own measurements I took it down without swapping to the 285s. All was good till the truck started wandering on the high speed part and the young guy "driving" started to freak out and stopped the test. I thought I was done for - In hops the "pro" and off he goes...1/2 way through the second time he stops and I look at the monitor thinking crap. Nope, the LX passed the "fast test"...The pro gave me the thumbs up so the only thing stopping me would be the gas cap test but even that was a success! I could start breathing easier...

Given that just two weeks ago I did a home fix on my exhaust leak at the y-pipe and the tighter limits I wasn't real confident in passing. I'm good for another couple years I guess

Here are my results. Pretty dang good for a 16yo rig! Funny how some readings are higher/lower than what I got in 2007 & 2009. Not sure where my 2011 results are.

Name:  97 LX450 E-Test 2-9-13 (Large).JPG
Views: 190
Size:  104.0 KB
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Nice! Feels good knowing your rigs been well taken care of too.

When I took my 3.4 swapped truck in the guy was blown away. I guess he's seen a lot of the old 3.0 truck FAIL.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 10-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Dad's '96 turbo 80 failed emissions for the 1st time since he's owned it, due to his cat being wiped out. Turns out it has only had 1 cat on it all this time as well, which they also caught for the first time this time and failed the visual. He took it to Bud's a couple days ago and got it back yesterday to have two new cats added to his 3" mandrel bent exhaust in place of the 1 bad cat. His check engine light is also on with the EGR code (not sure what the code is), which apparently cooks cats, so he'll have to get his EGR system figured out pretty soon too.

EDIT: it passed emissions today too, so all is well for now
Quote:
Went down on Sunday to help my dad with some stuff. His driver's side mirror was broken, so I got that replaced with one off of the 'Mud classifieds. The heater fan had also ingested some mice, so had to get that cleaned out. He also said the CEL has been on for a while, so I tried to drive it around to get it to blow the code (had just reconnected the battery). Never blew the code, but he texted me last night and said the code is P0401. He's also getting a lot of fuel tank pressure, which I think is charcoal canister-related. Oh joy.
Well soon turned out to be 3 years later, but I think the P0401 is fixed. Pulled the VSV out yesterday, tested bad, got a new one from Groove, in and drove today. Have to adjust the throttle cables a tad still, but no code yet. Here's crossing my fingers. Funny how something so small seems like a big deal to fix. Modulator tested fine, no blocked passageways, just the VSV. Bugger of it was I tried getting to it from the fender side through the small hole in the intake (after taking the brace out of the way), but my hands are big enough that that wasn't going well. So I got the throttle body off in just a few minutes and had easier access to the VSV from there. The electrical connector was a super PITA to get off, but finally it let go. On to something else...forgot about the fuel tank pressure issue until just now
Old 10-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

That VSV ain't cheap either....
Old 10-24-2013, 08:06 AM
Rising Sun member

Right, it's over $100. But not having a CEL for the past 2 days? Priceless?