Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 07-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Hail Damage

My 80 got clobbered a couple of weeks ago when a bad hail storm moved through Parker. I just got a check from State Farm to do the paintless dent repair and fix it all. Does that work pretty well? Will the cruiser look like it did originally? I figure my other option is to sell it, with or without the armor, and maybe buy a 100. What do you all think? This is a 1997 with 245k miles and it runs great. No other major issues. My pictures do not do the hail damage justice, BTW.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Rock Stacker

Chris:
Done right, you should be happy. Had it done on my first 55 to avoid messing with the original paint when removing minor dents and also have had it done on later model vehicles. No paint matching to worry about, now or later, and minimal down time. Trick is to find someone who's done it awhile and avoid some new franchisee for one of the paintless chains who is still developing skills. I'd check with a dealer or two and see who they use. Most of them use this method, in house or hired out, on their used car inventory. Or ask State Farm for a recommendation, since they're still on the hook if you're not happy.
Jim
Old 07-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

Just lift it some more. The taller the truck, the harder it is to see the hail damage
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 07-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

Given the age and miles on the truck personally I'd pocket the INS check if you can. Will hail damage really effect the resale or trade-in values of your vehicle. Not really IMO.

Now if you want to keep it for a while and the damage bothers you then I think you'll be happy with the repairs. But you mentioned a 100... so it sounds like your getting ready to move on.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 07-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I had massive hail damage on my black car last summer. They did paintless dent repair on everything but the aluminum hood. It came out flawless.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

It all depends on the size of the check. If you are ready to move on, then maybe now is the time to cash out. If the check is substantial, it might be more than the loss you will take on selling a hail damaged truck. That way you get a good price for the 80. If it only covers dentless repair, you might as well do that.

We have a really good guy we use. He has done miracles with situations where we thought it would not be salvageable.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

I agree, if someone else wants to buy me a 100, and I was eyeing one... I'd take the money and run.

Drew

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 06-25-2014, 05:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Becky's car got clobbered by a massive hailstorm in South Dakota last weekend. The hood and roof are trashed, and it even has dents on the sides. It sounds like our insurance coverage is the same as Chris' - we will get a check based on the assessed damage for paintless dent repair.

This is a relatively new car with a lot of value left in it. Is it really going to look "like new" or am I going to see the remnants of the damage in the right light? I've never had it done and let's say I'm skeptical.

Anybody got a recommendation for a shop/business that does PDR well? Preferably on the north side.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:56 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Chris; My 99 f350 got hailed on fourteen years ago. Had the paintless dent process done on it and you have to REALLY look for the reminder. By the way the truck is black.
99 F350 reserve hauler
03 F350 crew cab dually the bigger hauler
04 Lance 1121
90 fastiva dd still going
KDDHQ
Old 06-25-2014, 08:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

The ones next to the seams and sharp bends, like right behind the hood, will be tough for PDR. Negotiate to raise the settlement check over those, then get the easy ones fixed and put the remainder in your pocket.

My $.02,

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com