Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default New Toys!

Got a nice package today to replace some blown OME's. I'll be posting up more info into Bikeman's Fox Shox thread on Mud once its warmer than 5 outside. However, my initial measurements show that this shock will measure 24 7/8" on extension, which makes it about a half inch longer than the n73's and 1.5" shorter than the L's (which IMO is about the perfect length for 850 springs). Note the stem top and bottom which is what really makes this a nice bolt in option. No extra height of adapters for low lifts. Plus the stems are 1/2" and not the 3/8" like on the procomps/ranchos/etc. (That was one reason I sent the procomp's I bought back...they just looked a bit to rinky-dink for a heavy truck)

I'll have to compare compression to the current n73's as well to see if I need to drop the bumps at all. But if so, it should be fairly minimal.

Only got the front 2 for now, as they were not cheap Also the valving is a tossup, I'll see how they ride and either adjust myself or send back to California, whichever is cheaper. My hope is that they do a little better on washboards than the OME's do, though I have a feeling the initial compression dampning on them might be too high. Time to go eat rice and beans and top ramen for a month to pay for them.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Nice hardware Our neighbor got 4 new ones on his truck, big bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yea they were definitely not cheap, but I'm hoping since they are both rebuildable and revalveable makes it worth it.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

For those that are interested I posted up some pics of the fox shox install over on mud. A bit of a pita but not horrible I suppose...

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...ml#post6411814
Old 03-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

How much lift are you running? What are the results like -- does it drive significantly better?
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
How much lift are you running? What are the results like -- does it drive significantly better?
I've got the OME 850/863's. ARB and winch on the front, not much in the rear. I've only driven them once, and only on road, so still need quite a bit more testing. First impression is that it's not significantly better. However I think it has the potential to be MUCH better. Since there are not a lot of people running fox stuff on 80's, and those that do have a variety of vehicle setups, valving is still a bit of a toss-up IMO.

Sonny at Down South set them up with 60/65 valving. To me it feels pretty similar to the OME's on the road, with small bumps still being felt a bit too much. I'll probably drive them a while (hopefully to the Maze later this month) and get a better feel for them. Put them through some washboard and some bigger bumps. Based on that trip I may re-valve them to something in the range of 50/70 to try and get rid of some of the compression dampning.

I need to do a bunch more reading on the interwebs about shim stacks and whatnot. Maybe running a thinner initial shim to try and get better washboard performance. The number of options is HUGE and a bit overwhelming. Even adding in multiple stacks instead of one.

New shims are pretty cheap so its really the cost of nitrogen and the time it takes to pull them off and put them back. One of the things I love is that they are adjustable and rebuildable, so I'm not locked into a certain setup.

My goal is to try and get these set up to ride nice on washboard as opposed to high speed big hits. It may just take some experimentation to get there.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

Got the switch from yellow to blue well in progress now I slapped leather and bought 2 rear shocks. Purchased again from Down South. They are great to work with (unlike 4 wheel parts, another story). I also sent my fronts back in at the same time to get revalved. The 60/65 valving wasn't working for me (too jarring on washboard) so Sonny valved all 4 with flutter stacks in hopes of improving small bump performance.

The rears will measure out to a bit longer than standard OME's and a bit shorter than "L's". Haven't figured out mounting yet but something will get figured out With the exception of that mounting, they should bolt right in. .75 ID bushings instead of heims. Should last longer in the mag chloride.