Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Hard Core 4+

Well, got the setup finished for flat towing the Chili, behind the F250 and Lance truck camper... we went to Lake City for the Fourth. And the verdict is...

Gee, works great. I coulda used an exhaust brake over Monarch, but really, not bad at all. The Chili pushes the rear of the truck just a wee bit (or is that wheee! bit) so I have to watch the oversteer, but really it towed wonderfully. The lockouts on the rear axle of the Chili make it a dream to hook up, as does the fact that starting the Chili, turning it off, and leaving the ignition key in keeps the steering unlocked... and though the tow bar was a bit angled down it didn't have any effect on the F250 on hard braking. The only real issue was tight turns on loose road surfaces, where the Chili's steering didn't follow the arc very well at all. Fine on pavement.

14 mpg didn't hurt at all. The pyrometer kept my foot out of it going upgrade (kept it at 1200* or below), but even so I had little trouble keeping up on the speed limit (actually went slower downgrade because I only have the truck's brakes). Even passed a stock 86-87 4Runner that was screaming its 22RE going upgrade. Kinda funny to haul all that and get about the mileage that the Chili would have, packed with camping gear, all by itself.

I like it.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks for the update/report. Now, don't get 6.0 fever or start looking at 2012 rigs, and you'll be ok. ;-)
Old 07-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Time for a trailer....you'll forget Chili is even behind you plus it stops perfect and you can back up!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 07-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Well, got the setup finished for flat towing the Chili, behind the F250 and Lance truck camper... we went to Lake City for the Fourth. And the verdict is...

Gee, works great. I coulda used an exhaust brake over Monarch, but really, not bad at all. The Chili pushes the rear of the truck just a wee bit (or is that wheee! bit) so I have to watch the oversteer, but really it towed wonderfully. The lockouts on the rear axle of the Chili make it a dream to hook up, as does the fact that starting the Chili, turning it off, and leaving the ignition key in keeps the steering unlocked... and though the tow bar was a bit angled down it didn't have any effect on the F250 on hard braking. The only real issue was tight turns on loose road surfaces, where the Chili's steering didn't follow the arc very well at all. Fine on pavement.

14 mpg didn't hurt at all. The pyrometer kept my foot out of it going upgrade (kept it at 1200* or below), but even so I had little trouble keeping up on the speed limit (actually went slower downgrade because I only have the truck's brakes). Even passed a stock 86-87 4Runner that was screaming its 22RE going upgrade. Kinda funny to haul all that and get about the mileage that the Chili would have, packed with camping gear, all by itself.

I like it.
Get the Banks exhaust brake. Very inexepensive for those trucks and super easy to install, it makes a HUGE difference going down the passes especially when towing. Once you have one you will wonder how you ever lived without it.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 07-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Time for a trailer....you'll forget Chili is even behind you plus it stops perfect and you can back up!
Not a chance. The money aside, no place to park it that would be acceptable to the !

Besides... I actually backed up successfully on two occasions. Just gotta keep your head about you.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Wow! If you got 14mpg hand calculated, that's great!! I can only count on 11.5 with my 15K setup, doing the speed limit on I-70.

X2 on the exhaust brake. I just have a decel tune, but I use it driving in the hills empty, much less towing, even with trailer brakes.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 07-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Love them 7.3!
99 F350 reserve hauler
03 F350 crew cab dually the bigger hauler
04 Lance 1121
90 fastiva dd still going
KDDHQ
Old 07-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post
Wow! If you got 14mpg hand calculated, that's great!!
Yup, corrected odo for actual vs. indicated mileage, and kept my foot out of the injectors for the most part. Actually just a tech under 14, like 13.93 or so. Close 'nuff.

The truck computer still thinks it got 17.2mpg... No idea how it calculates that or how often it gets adjusted or for what time period it represents...
KDRCH
Bio Page
Old 07-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

There's a reason that the overhead display is known on FTE as the 'Lie-o-meter'. Your mileage is right in line with mine - towing a 2000# popup, I get 14-16. Big headwinds, hills, and high speeds push it down to the 13-14 end of the scale.