Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 08-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Lifted

Default Antenna 2M question

I've been using my Yaesu FT-2900R as a base station with a N9TAX Slim Jim. I currently have it on a painters pole which is about 16" total. I have the painters pole stuck in a huge traffic cone which keeps it uprright.

Anyway, I'm looking to throw something up on the roof. I'm wondering if I should just mount the Slim Jim up there on a bow made of PVC or if I should get something else. The Slim Jim is omnidirectional. For working repeaters is it better to get a directional? I was looking at the Elk 5-element one for example. Would I be able to hit repeaters on Cheyenne Mtn and Pikes Peak without moving the directional or would I have to put it on some kind of antenna rotator?
Old 08-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Here's the Arrow J-pole I have up near the top of my roofline. Works great. I have the 146/440 version, naturally.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Lifted

Default home brew

Or make your own, learn and save some $$. For me, half the fun is learning about and building antennas. Here a couple of links for j-poles. With a j-pole and 5 watts you should be able to hit any repeater in the Springs area including Pikes Peak. Here are a few links to home brew j-poles.

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=9293

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=3481

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=3482

Recently built my first HF antenna and now looking into doing a "portable" 6m sometime soon.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
Old 08-03-2012, 12:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

can you hit the repeaters without the antenna mounted up high? Are you looking for more range?

I made a copper pipe j pole and it works well for me but I kinda tested my range with a smaller antenna and lower wattage first. I knew it'd be a slam dunk.

If you can't touch a repeater with what you have now you might need something like a yagi.... If it kinda works, then maybe a slightly better omni directional antenna mounted up high will work.
82 FJ40
Old 08-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Lifted

I can hit repeaters pretty well in the Springs. I'd just like to extend the range. My house is up on a bit of a hill, so I think if I put something up there I'll be in good shape. I just didn't know if I should throw the Slim Jim up or get something else.

I was looking at some homebrew stuff last night, I'll check out those links posted here.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

Then you'd probably be fine just getting what you have up a bit higher...

The only thing that looks kinda funky with the slim jim is that it may get rocked by the wind. It seems like it flap around a lot.

That may be a reason to make a nice sturdy J-Pole for the top of the house, then keep the slim jim for other stuff where you may be travelling and want a packable antenna.
82 FJ40
Old 08-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Lifted

Default bow

I think I'll just use the Slim Jim & make something like this to keep it from moving:

I have a second one rolled up for portable operating.