Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

I'm with Kevin. I've driven around on a low lift truck enough to know. 3 inches of up travel is about the minimum on a daily driver. I'm a lot happier with about 5 inches of uptravel.

You could always move your shock mounts. I had to tilt my rear shocks to get max travel out of it. I have 14" vertical of travel at the shock mount on the axle. The compressed length is 8" and the extended length is 22". That shock doesn't exist. I'm running highly tilted Rancho 9012s and am happy so far.

I could move my shock mount to the front or back of the axle instead of on top to stand them up straighter, or punch holes in the floor and mount the shocks halfway up the roll bar.

Last edited by leiniesred; 11-27-2006 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

Limit compression and you'll break the mounts and or shocks, limit droop and you'll limit articulation..
Old 11-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Ok, thanks all. So any other adverse effects to limiting down travel, other than reduced articulation? Nay I looked for the 6100 specs but all I found were vehicles and lifts and what fits what, not extended & collapsed dimensions. Last piece of info, is when the 6253 shocks were mounted up front I measured 15.5" eye to eye, so the shock itself pushed the truck up 1/2". And they were pretty tough to compress to get reinstalled in back.. is that normal?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

I think the only negative is that shocks don't make really great limit straps. You MIGHT be able to pull one apart (usually the eyes break off) Not likely, but it is kinda "poor form" to use 'em as limiters.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred
I think the only negative is that shocks don't make really great limit straps. You MIGHT be able to pull one apart (usually the eyes break off) Not likely, but it is kinda "poor form" to use 'em as limiters.
I concur Dr. Rudy! Shocks do not last long when the valving on the piston becomes the limiting strap!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 11-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman
Ok, thanks all. So any other adverse effects to limiting down travel, other than reduced articulation? Nay I looked for the 6100 specs but all I found were vehicles and lifts and what fits what, not extended & collapsed dimensions. Last piece of info, is when the 6253 shocks were mounted up front I measured 15.5" eye to eye, so the shock itself pushed the truck up 1/2". And they were pretty tough to compress to get reinstalled in back.. is that normal?
Sorry, the short body are 7100 remote reservoir...nothing that seems to fit your application. The applications for 6100's that I pulled up show dimensions (5100 only shows applications). Ideally you'd want an 8" travel shock, but that's not going to work for up travel. Any way to raise the upper mounts by 1.5" so you can use the 6252 model in the 5125 class? Or maybe move to a pin mount shock if that is the factory mount style so you aren't increasing compressed length with eye adapters.

Bilsteins are very difficult to compress by hand...almost impossible if you can't get some real leverage on them.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Yes, thanks I've been thinking along those same lines all day, have an idea in my head for a way to raise the upper mounts. I'll try to stare at it some more tonight.

www.gamiviti.com