Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 08-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Trail Ready

Default 01 Saab 93 convertible?

Hi all,

I know there are a few Saab guys on here, so I thought I would see if anyone has any insights on an 01 Saab 9-3 convertible? Do they have any known common problems or durability issues? There is one for sale in Denver with 120k on it, for 4800. Seems like a good car for Erica's, "most of the year" commuter, for a few years.

If we could drive it for 2-3 years, we'd be in a much better place to buy her a much better car then.

Thoughts?

Thanks is advance!
Abe
Old 08-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Robbie knows saabs real well. Might be worth it to hire him to look it over
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 08-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

I've got a 01 hatchback, as well as an '99 hatchback. Mechanically both cars have been pretty solid. The electrics can be annoying. Mostly minor things that are easy to fix but still annoying - like flaky window control switches and the very common missing pixels on the info display panel. Def' check the water pump. When the bearing fails, the pulley wobbles and rubs a hole in the front cover.

I've never had a convertible but I have read about issues with the folding top actuators on the forums. Some of them are hydraulic and develop leaks that are expensive to fix.

If you plan to buy the car, I'd get it over to East of Sweden for a buyers inspection, or talk to Robbie. His shop is right near East of Sweden.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 08-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Rock Stacker

I had a 2000 9-3 for about five years. It was a great car, that I really enjoyed owning for the most part. I also started the Saab Wiki (currently sadly neglected) that just happens to have a buyers guide: http://www.saabwiki.info/index.php?t...uyer%27s_Guide

As much as I liked mine, if your goal is to use it as a commuter to save some money, I'd probably keep looking. In the last year I had mine it needed a new turbo, new ac compressor and a CV. I put almost as much into the car that year as I sold it for a few months later.

If you do want one, make sure you get the SE model. There are a couple things it has that make it more reliable.

First, it has the larger, more reliable, TD05 turbo. The base model came with a smaller Garret GT17 that has a tendency to fail earlier. When I bought mine at 40k miles the turbo had just been replaced. And then that one failed at 80k miles. At that point I put in the TD05.

The SE model also comes with a electronic climate control that tends to be more reliable than the manual one that comes on the base model. The manual system has some plastic parts that tend to break, particularly when it's cold out.

I also didn't have a convertible, but heard similar things about problems for them. There are lots of moving pieces up there, and at this point they're all more than ten years old. I would be wary.

Bear at East of Sweden is a great guy. Definitely take anything to him for inspection and maintenance later. Don't confuse East of Sweden in Boulder with East of Sweden in Broomfield. They're very different places.
- Borla exhaust
- Funky front bumper
- Scratches and dents
Old 08-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Trail Ready

We are getting away from saabs. I sold mine and my sister still has a 2008. She had a computer issue and when we asked for a new computer, mile hi told here that they are not making them anymore since they went under.

So parts may be harder to find in the future.