Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

I run a lock and roll on my trailer. It is a breeze to hook up. No harder than a ball if you ask me. And as long as your tongue weight is correct you should be able to man handle the trailer onto the hitch without issue. I find the articulation actually more forgiving than getting the ball dead on.

FWIW, the quietness of this hitch is worth it alone. I have a couple 1000 miles on mine and it is super tight and quiet as the day I brought it home. I use a little high pressure grease smeared onto the bearing surfaces before heading out and it tows like a quiet dream. If you have ever driven a pintel hook, then a ball hitch, and realized the difference in slop and noise... there is the same reduction in slop and noise AGAIN from the ball hitch to the lock-n-roll.

Tim, feel free to come check mine out in person, or give it a run on your little trailer sometime, the only issue is you will need to receivers to run this setup. If your trailer sees dirt at all this thing is worth it.

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 08-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74fj40 View Post
im gay
This made me laugh out loud. Not sure if it was your official coming out, or maybe your girl friend was on your computer and did a funny... or perhaps you're just really witty. in any case

Ok onto the other comments, thanks guys. Jeff the dude at LocknRoll said he just improved his design, the part numbers he gave me aren't even on his web site. I'm thinking he must have addressed whatever was happening... also what I'm looking at doesn't have a receiver on the trailer side, it's more of a weld-on deal.

I like of like the added security benefit... you'd have to get creative to hork my trailer without the mating part, ya know?

Drew that's cool you have one, given that you're a mile away with some experience pretty much clinches it.. you'll have to hook this bad boy up to the Sequoia some time when I get it all built up.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Bringing this back up to the top.

I ordered a Max Coupler yesterday and plan to weld in the receiver to the Starcraft 10R/T next week in prep for CM13.

I looked at the Lock and Roll as well. Dave Druck prefers that on his teardrop. It looked like there were a few failures with that unit when using the bolt-on version to a standard drop receiver. Dave uses the welded receiver/coupler. He had too many failures with the Max Coupler and switched.

I believe either coupler choice would be a good one at this point.

Anyway as I don't know how much drop I'll need at this point so I chose the Max Coupler. Purchased from So-Cal Teardrops for $235 to my door. Better pricing than AT. Its a new and improved model what ever that means. Will post pics when done.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to 74fj40 Send a message via MSN to 74fj40

Lol just saw this. Must have been my roomate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
This made me laugh out loud. Not sure if it was your official coming out, or maybe your girl friend was on your computer and did a funny... or perhaps you're just really witty. in any case

Ok onto the other comments, thanks guys. Jeff the dude at LocknRoll said he just improved his design, the part numbers he gave me aren't even on his web site. I'm thinking he must have addressed whatever was happening... also what I'm looking at doesn't have a receiver on the trailer side, it's more of a weld-on deal.

I like of like the added security benefit... you'd have to get creative to hork my trailer without the mating part, ya know?

Drew that's cool you have one, given that you're a mile away with some experience pretty much clinches it.. you'll have to hook this bad boy up to the Sequoia some time when I get it all built up.

1997 Honda civic DX( all stock DD)
1972 Toyota FJ40(4" lift, FJ60 axles, FJ60 4speed with split case, 35's, Detroit locker rear, Lockright front, Marlin Highsteer, 105"WB, Saginaw with GM tilt column, soon to have: 30spline longfields, inners/outters, toybox.
1967 Porsche 912(100% stock)

[/font]
Old 04-17-2013, 02:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Lock and roll definitely has way more options to offer the user the best possible solution.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-23-2013, 10:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

So I welded the receiver tube in tonight. Funny as I have the exact same pop-up as originally posted. I added a little more length to prevent my spare tire from contacting the propane tanks and tongue jack. But basically the same mod. I boxed in the bottom of the tongue and placed a support brace below the receiver to add additional strength.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366777545.363338.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  90.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366777558.818616.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  73.8 KB
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Funny as I have the exact same pop-up as originally posted.
And it was the exact same pop-up that inspired me to buy the pop-up that you bought from me...
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Tested out the max coupler today. My only complaint is hooking it up solo. I'm going to guess that Lock and Roll is easier solo. My camper is too heavy to lift the tongue and move it by hand. So lining up the pin is a PITA. But once connected everything works great. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366843801.036471.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  75.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366843816.651047.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  65.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366843834.867648.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  72.9 KB
2004 Starcraft 10RT