Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

No space for a hard sided trailer, I gotta go with Wes on still liking the camping flavor verses living in a hotel room. My goal is to get the FAMILY out and about more, not necessarily myself... I still like a good ground tent.

Thanks everyone, this has been really helpful.

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 08-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

Forgot to mention that my feelings regarding awnings are similar to that of pop-ups... giant sails. When it comes down to the nitty gritty it really doesn't matter if you're under the stars, in a tent, bed of a truck, pop-up, or hard side. The important thing is that you're out there!
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 08-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Wincher

As for the awning, I used to set up my camper and go out exploring or 4wheeling and when I'd get back my awning was always laying on the ground. I looked for a solution at the camper store, but if you've ever been to camping world, you know how expensive that place is. I thought of a simple solution with $2 fishing rod holders from wally world. Stick two of these things in the ground and put your awning legs in them, and you'll never have it fall down again. I rarely even use the tie downs anymore. It's worked in some serious wind for me. I love the awning because I hate sitting in the sun.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mustad-Hea...older/16877449

One thing we always hated about the pop up was that there was always "stuff" everywhere. A loaf of bread on the counter, jackets on the table benches, tripping over the kids shoes... etc. my coleman pop up has a bar that hangs in it for drying towels and bathing suits, i went and bought two hanging cloth closet organizers and we hang them up in the camper. they crumble down and fit under the storage bench, and now we have 12 little cubby holes for everything from fruit to clothes. If you don't have the bar, you can screw some hooks in the ceiling.

As for stinking up the camper with a big steamer, lol, no one poops in the portable toilet, we take a long walk for that. it is very, very nice for the girls to pee quick when it's cold in the middle of the night or when it's dark and everyone is sitting around the fire. They just go inside, close the door, and back at the campfire in minutes!

Carry a small shovel. When you are trying to level the camper, it's much easier to dig a hole and back the camper in it than it is to pull it up on a block of wood. someone always has to "foot" the block to keep it from dragging along with the tire.

The post about coleman plastic parts I don't get. The plastic front cover on my coleman has withstood some serious abuse, don't worry about that. I think I even hit a couple stumps with it and they bounce back. The 4runner's 37" KM2's have chunked some pretty good sized rocks at that camper and it has withstood a hail storm with 1 7/8 hail without any breakage, but the aluminum top looks like a golf ball now. They're speed dimples!

-'88 pickup - Daily driver, AAL's, 285's, ARB bumper, Warn winch, all around cool rig.
-'01 cherokee - 6" Long arm'd, 285's, ARB bumper, custom roof rack, electric locked D30, auto locked 8.8, trussed-plated-fortified.
-'12 Jeep JK - 2" lift, Skid Row skidplates, OR fab bumper

KFWD