Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 08-19-2012, 07:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Jenny Creek work day 2012

We had a great day up on Jenny Creek. Five of the volunteers spent Friday night up there. We had the lower campsite to ourselves until one other group wandered in during the evening. The site is so big that it could easily accommodate a lot more people. We spent the evening discussing the Saturday plan while focusing on emptying an assortment of beverage containers.

Saturday morning the Forest Service, as well as the rest of our crew showed up around 9a and we got to work. There were about 15 RS members and mybe 5 FS employees. We started with a buck 'n rail fence on Rolllins Pass road to close off a steep hill climb that drops into the road leading down to the stream crossing on the Jenny Creek trail. I didn't get any pictures with the crew building the fence but it turned out really nice. It's amazing how fast you can construct something when there are a lot of hands available.

After the fence, we headed up to Yank Doodle Lake and ran the trail from the top down taking care of minor issues as we found them. The post and cable is holding up well and the closed areas behind the cable looks great. We added more rocks, logs and a few carsonites to close off illegal route spurs leading off of the main trail. We shoveled a bit of dirt to help the one big puddle on the trail drain better. There was a bit of trash in some of the campsites to pickup, but overall the area looks good.

We took a late lunchbreak and chowed on the Qdoba taco bar that Scott Y brought up. Yum. Some folkes had to take off after lunch. Kevin took Maibeth, one of the Rangers, back to the lower part of the trail to finish signing some of the lesser used roads.

A big thanks to all who turned out to help. We got a lot done and had fun doing it. The trail looks great. If you haven't made it up there lately, make the effort. I think it's one of the best front range trails available - not too easy but not too tough.

Also, it was great to see Jeff Zepps latest project, a sweet FJ60. Unfortunately a stump and rock conspired to grab a rear quarted panel and mar the otherwise perfect body. Well, at least color matching the paint shouldn't be hard.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 08-19-2012, 08:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

I was amazed at how quickly 15 people could construct 40 feet of fence. That was a lot of fun. Thanks to Bruce and Kevin for their organization, and to Scott for zipping up Rollins Pass on his low-riding Zuki to deliver some tasty tacos.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Awesome to see a good turn out of RS'ers ready to get-r-done! Thank you!!

I meant to take a lot of picture but Maribeth worked my arse! I was tired last night when I got home!

Here is the only one I took all day. This was the crew hard at it assembling the 60' of buck rail fence....
Name:  DSC00208.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  159.0 KB

This is a loaded Wildrice trying to act like it's big brother Ricecake and hauling everything out in one load...
Name:  DSC00209.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  131.6 KB
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 08-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

Awesome work guys!

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 08-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Lifted

A Great day! Thanks a bunch for letting a heep tag along, I greatly enjoyed the chance to pitch-in on the work, meet a great group of people and run the trail! The taco's were a huge hit, I was -starving- by the time i made it back!

a quick phone pick:

the little flatty did pretty good, her biggest day out so far, she suffered a bit of carnage though. I had a rear corner panel get snagged as well, exposing some of the previous owners shotty body work. The shocks were on my list of things to be replaced, and though i tested the suspension as well as i could in the driveway, dropping down into the creek flexed it more than i ever could, resulting in three out of four shocks being broken. note to self: shocks don't make very good limit straps.

no problem driving home though, turns out those shocks (as suspected) were not doing much in the first place.

wooo hooo! new project to keep me busy with in the garage!
metal from the scrap yard glued together in a garage in
Louisville and dragged around behind a F350 Diesel.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Rising Sun member

Thank you so much guys!

:

I am so bummed I couldn't partake on this one, so I really appreciate Bruce, Kevin, Scott and others stepping up to make it happen! You guys are really great!
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 08-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

A big thanks for Kevin, Bruce and others for stepping up to make this happen. It seemed like we had plenty of manpower for the work that was needed so that made the work pretty easy for most of us.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Here is a shot of the finished fence.
Attached Images

"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 08-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRunner View Post
A big thanks for Kevin, Bruce and others for stepping up to make this happen. It seemed like we had plenty of manpower for the work that was needed so that made the work pretty easy for most of us.
It was a team effort but we are all just followers of the great Marco! Without Marco's diligence and direct communication with BRD we would flounder!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 08-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I got a couple of pictures. Here is Uncle Ben pulling a tree with Wild Rice with Bruce Lawson grinning and supervising. We will use the tree to pick the qdoba salad greens from between our teeth later in the day.
Attached Images

Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/