Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to ianacole Send a message via MSN to ianacole Send a message via Yahoo to ianacole

True on the changes, but those came after the heating problems. I will make (or try to find a Taurus) shroud. Thanks for the link...that looks quite handy.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

The funnel kit is great. You fill the funnel up half full and run the vehicle until the thermostat opens and work out all the bubbles. When done stick the plunger thing in and remove the funnel from the radiator without a mess. Install your cap and done. The extra coolant still in the funnel drains into a coolant jug again no mess. I got mine many years ago for the wife's Subie as they suck to burp. But now I use it on everything as its just so easy and fool proof.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 05-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to ianacole Send a message via MSN to ianacole Send a message via Yahoo to ianacole

Thanks again. Just ordered it from Summit (odd that they weren't the most expensive) ... should be here between June 1-4.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:29 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Trying to think of what could have changed since last year to now make it run hotter:

Have you pressure checked the entire system, especially the radiator cap or just replaced it?

Any significant changes in engine timing or carb adjustments? An over-lean fuel or too far advanced timing can contribute to higher engine temps.

You sure when you swapped the T-stat the first time that you didn't put it in backwards?

Based on your comment about the oil pump (although very unlikely) if you are concerned something is going on inside the engine causing it to get hotter, install an oil temperature gauge. If your oil temp is climbing outside of normal range during normal driving then you'll know thats what is causing your water temp issue.

Summit offers a good variety of aluminum fan shrouds for fairly resonable prices.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 05-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

Randy has some good points.. Check the timing even if you didn't adjust it, it may have moved..
82 FJ40

Last edited by rover67; 08-19-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Lifted

Bringing this back up because I still haven't found a solution. Things I've done since bringing this up. Installed new radiator with homemade shroud (see image). Installed a high volume pump (130-1270P) with all new hoses. Checked the timing (pulling vacuum), and it's spot on, and double-checked the spark plug wire connections. Replaced all the spark plugs. Fill and bleed using the handy Lisle kit. Checked that all spark plug wires are conducting good.

Symptoms:
  • Overheats under load - Highway speed (55 MPH), or climbing up a hill (like Kipling from Morrison to Jewell). I cannot make the ride home (40 min. drive) that's a combination of surface streets and 285 without breaching 210*. It will recover if I can cruise at ~1500 RPM or downhill.
  • Water is disappearing - Not into the oil or onto the ground...some of it is undoubtedly from overflowing the overflow tank when overheating, but I suspect some is out the tailpipe.

Does the fact that it's overheating under load point to the timing not advancing enough? Or another problem with the HEI distributor? I have not pressure tested the system, would it make sense to do so now? How about a full flush? I'm tempted to swap out the motor (looking at a Jegs crate motor with a Fuel Injection set up), but I don't want to put a new motor in if I'm just going to jeopardize it with cooling problems.

Any other ideas?

Thanks all!
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Do a leak down test in insure a healthy head gasket.

What temp thermostat is in it now? And is the rad cap good/new? Also forget the history on that fan clutch?
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Lifted

Any suggestions on where to take it to do a leak down?

I'm back to the 2nd 160* Tstat. No difference from when it had the previous 160, or the subsequent 195. Brand new fan clutch and radiator cap.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yes...pressure test the cooling system. If water is disappearing, this should show where its going. Yes, do a leak down. Most reputable shops will do one for you. Its not a cheap test though as it takes an hour or 2 depending on the guy doing it. Did you use a degree timing light and set the timing for total advance, or just set timing at idle?
Old 08-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Lifted

Timing at idle only...