Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 08-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Corbet's Avatar
Corbet Corbet is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Durango, Colorado
Posts: 3,973
Default

I'd loan you my leak down tester if I was local. You could probably get one from Summit for less than paying for a test. Same with the pressure tester on the cooling system. But I agree with Gary. If your loosing coolant you need to determine where its going.
__________________
Speski OffRoad LTD, Cargo Solutions for Toyota 4x4's http://www.SpeskiOffRoad.com
"80 series, with a fridge"
1976 FJ40, Project with little progress.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-20-2012, 07:45 AM
waggoner5's Avatar
waggoner5 waggoner5 is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Golden, Co
Posts: 586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianacole View Post
Timing at idle only...
Timing at idle only only gives you an initial timing. You have no idea where your total timing including advance really is under load. Although I dont think the timing is the culprit here, it certainly can aggravate an existing cooling problem. After doing a leak down, buy or borrow a dial style timing light and check your total advance. A mild SBC likes between 30-34 degrees total advance. Your coolant loss sounds like the big issue though...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Uncle Ben's Avatar
Uncle Ben Uncle Ben is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 13,149
Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default

You state it is a SBC. Is it a 350 or 400 ci?
__________________
KUBN
Kevin
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-20-2012, 08:48 AM
ianacole ianacole is offline
Lifted
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 180
Send a message via AIM to ianacole Send a message via MSN to ianacole Send a message via Yahoo to ianacole
Default

It's a 350, "Y" code, from a 75ish G20 Van, as best I can figure out. Next payday I'll get a leak down test. I can do a compression test (I have a tester) in the mean time.
__________________
Ian A. Cole
Blue '73 FJ40 - My DD
Blue '06 Tacoma Quad Cab 4x4 longbed - 's DD
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Uncle Ben's Avatar
Uncle Ben Uncle Ben is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 13,149
Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianacole View Post
It's a 350, "Y" code, from a 75ish G20 Van, as best I can figure out. Next payday I'll get a leak down test. I can do a compression test (I have a tester) in the mean time.
How clean was the old coolant? I ask as the older SB's had a tendency to accumulate all the rust and corrosion from poorly maintained cooling systems around the rear cylinders. Once it builds up it restricts or even closes off coolant flow to the heads at the back port. Not saying this is what's going on but if it is it's really hard to get that crap out. I have seen and dealt with this a few times over my past life as a shop slave. It was really bad with the '60's SBC. The 400 ci has Siamese cylinders (they touch each other so no flow between cylinders) and the heads have steam holes to allow flow which can have many restriction issues.
__________________
KUBN
Kevin
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-20-2012, 10:13 AM
ianacole ianacole is offline
Lifted
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 180
Send a message via AIM to ianacole Send a message via MSN to ianacole Send a message via Yahoo to ianacole
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
How clean was the old coolant? I ask as the older SB's had a tendency to accumulate all the rust and corrosion from poorly maintained cooling systems around the rear cylinders. Once it builds up it restricts or even closes off coolant flow to the heads at the back port. Not saying this is what's going on but if it is it's really hard to get that crap out. I have seen and dealt with this a few times over my past life as a shop slave. It was really bad with the '60's SBC. The 400 ci has Siamese cylinders (they touch each other so no flow between cylinders) and the heads have steam holes to allow flow which can have many restriction issues.
And that's ultimately what I wonder is going on. When I pulled the coolant with the first water pump change when the heating issues started it was pretty nasty ... dark brown/blackish.
__________________
Ian A. Cole
Blue '73 FJ40 - My DD
Blue '06 Tacoma Quad Cab 4x4 longbed - 's DD
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.