Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default FZJ80 very slow to crank

Over the last couple of days, the 80 has been very slow to crank. When I turn the ignition, I get a very slow, laborious crank for around 2-3 seconds, and then it "catches" and fires up. It sounds like what you would hear when you have a dying battery, except the battery is fully charged and is showing 12.4V on the meter.

Does this point toward the starter as a potential problem area? I replaced the contacts and plunger around 2 years ago with OEM parts - otherwise it's original.

Other things to consider? I haven't tried swapping in a new battery (just to ensure I'm not getting a false positive on the one I have), and I haven't tried hooking my battery up to another car (like a jump) to see if I get a better response. I'll try these steps out tonight.

And FWIW I did some winching on Saturday to pull up a couple of stumps from my yard. Truck was off at the time, and we just did some quick pulsing of the winch to break the root ball free.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

I bet it's the battery. Read the voltage when it's cranking.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 09-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
I bet it's the battery. Read the voltage when it's cranking.
x2 but also check the amp draw when cranking. My "shoot from the hip" guess would be a cell or two dead in the battery. Dirty lead terminals (+ and -) and or loose connection can also have the same effect.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Some FZJ starter repairs don't last more than 2 years, depending on how the parts wear. But, suspect a bad battery cell first.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

If a cell was bad in the battery, you wouldn't measure 12.4V at rest would you? Depending on the voltage dip while cranking, you might be able to point to a dirty cable connection or the battery itself. In my experience with replacing starter contacts in the solenoid, it either works or doesn't make contact at all, I've never had a slow crank due to pitted contacts.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 09-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
If a cell was bad in the battery, you wouldn't measure 12.4V at rest would you? Depending on the voltage dip while cranking, you might be able to point to a dirty cable connection or the battery itself. In my experience with replacing starter contacts in the solenoid, it either works or doesn't make contact at all, I've never had a slow crank due to pitted contacts.
You can have a battery that fails a load test but still measures 12v!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Definatley.. I had a deka that dropped a cell, could still start but became weaker and weaker.

I think the replacement they gave me dropped one too..(sold the truck though) It was getting harder and harder to start. I'm about done with dekas now too.
TLCA#4180
Old 09-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hmmm - Ok. More focus on the battery. So I got home, cranked it once and it started after a very weak crank. Second try it tried but eventually died to a click, click, click. I then joined in my 2nd battery, and it didn't make a difference.

Then I basically pulled the terminals and inspected, wiggled a few wires, checked the wires coming off the starter, and put everything back together, and it fired right up. Voltage was 11.something at crank. I then did it several more times with no issues - weird.

So I don't know what that means - maybe the battery is fine and I had a loose/bad connection. But all the connections looked clean and tight. Have you ever seen a degrading battery sort of come back to life for a bit? Seems like once a cell goes, it just heads south from there....
Old 09-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

Measure the voltage drop at the starter. You should not see much difference between there and the battery. If you do you have a bad connection or cable somewhere. I had mine go bad right at the alt a few years ago. Visually it was fine but pull back some insulation and it was rotted out bad.

But I'd also have the battery load tested.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Last edited by Corbet; 09-11-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

Battery
But also check for Any loose connections