Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 08-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Smile Sign up (yes) and read it from the library...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcromntic View Post
I took a road trip recently and messed with the squelch. I had it turned about half way. I turned it down.

About the only thing I heard was CW.

I tried listening on the "5-2" but nothing was there.

I'm going to try and make some of the Pike Peak ARRL club meetings; just to see if I can hear them.

Anyone read the ARRL Operating Manual? Maybe it is titled operator's manual; not sure. Is it worth reading?
This book is available at the Pikes Peak Library Distric at 3 different locations:
The ARRL ham radio license manual : all you need to become an amateur radio operator

Yes, it has technical info about the license, but it also is a good resource to use for some of the operating techniques. For instance, having music blaring in the background is not acceptable when you transmit. It is technically re-broadcasting and not allowed. The only exception is Space Shuttle radio traffic (and ISS traffic) but I think they may have to change the rule to be more general as the Shuttle program is . It will help you understand some of the ideas behind good antennas and transmit power, coax and connections, powering directly from batteries (General exam pool question) and international communications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcromntic View Post
I finally heard some traffic here in town last sunday. So at least I know the antenna is working. I'll have to go check but I believe it was146.440. They were giving instructions on taking down information and then once they had a certain number of messages recorded they would relay them in bunches so they didnt tie up the channels.

Anyone here a member of the ARRL? How would membership help an innexperienced operator?
My ? Join the ARRL. Your membership helps us keep our frequencies instead of the big cell phone and other radio users snatching up sections of our bands for private commercial use. Beyond that, you become a member of an organization that has been helpful to many of the technical advances we take for granted these days. Like satellites, GPS, cell phone and email. Plus, you can access many of the archived articles for the DIY'er to do more for themselves and the hobby.

:HAM guru back to making good beer...:
Old 08-22-2012, 04:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hmm, you too busy for a HAM class, like 101 stuff? I know this great location for this kind of thing...

I sure would like to see some stuff on the BC calendar, so I have an excuse to travel up 36 and exit at 287.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 08-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

speaking of which, BC needs a HAM Radio.

I'll build the antenna. I may even have a radio to donate.
82 FJ40
Old 09-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Lifted

I noticed lately that I am picking up a lot of noise from the vehicle. If I'm not mistaken there was a question on the test about how to fix this. I think it was a ferite choke? If so, then I've forgotten where to put the choke; antenna cable?

I have power and ground straight off the battery (fused). Well, the ground wire is connected at the same point as a large ground wire that comes off the - batt terminal. It is terminated right by the battery on the firewall. That seems like it would be close enough to the actual terminal; 6" makes that much difference?

I finally figured out how to work the CTCSS. So now I am trying to "get connected" to repeaters. Just tonight I found a list to try on the internet so I'll be doing that for now to see if I can hear more.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Your grounding is likely just fine, 6" away should be close enough to on the terminal. When you say noise, are you hearing it go up and down with the engine RPM's? If so then it may be a low pass filter that you'd want to look into... heck for extra nerd points you could build your own, I have a feeling there's a picture of one up here somewhere.

edit: not a picture, but a link to some more threads http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ead.php?t=9852

www.gamiviti.com

Last edited by nakman; 09-12-2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: typos@!
Old 09-16-2012, 12:55 AM
Lifted

Ohhh yeah. I remember it now. You just reminded me of one more thing I forgot in my electronics classes 20 years ago. I guess if you had an old transformer from some junk electrical appliance you could use one side of that instead of wrapping all that wire. Assuming of course you knew to insulate the other side of the transformer or just cut away copper on one side. And of course the 20 amp rating.

Not sure why 35V capacitor. I've only seen 14.7V out the battery. Better safe than sorry I guess.

I have some electronics junk downstairs, some capacitors and a soldering iron...I'll give it a shot in my ample free time (ha).

I heard some more talking last thursday on 145.950 (I think it was). Some guy was talking about taking a trip up Pikes Peak with his handheld and was hoping to talk with some people from way up there on 2 meter simplex. He was from Ohio I think. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to who they were; just how they were operating.

I also heard some REAL CW during their conversation. I'm confident what I thought was CW before was nothing more than noise.

P.S.
I joined the ARRL. They gave me a free operators manual. I have time to read a page or two right before I wipe.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

You can use the windings in a transformer for inductance, maybe not ideal because that would be fairly space inefficient for the amount of inductance you get. Worth a shot for testing, definitely. I wound one using a steel quick link. You really need a lot of inductance to keep the cap manageable. I ended up with a ferrite rod and that worked even better than iron, but cost more and are more fragile. Once it's potted, it won't matter, though.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/home-brew...on-filter.html

If you were listening to a repeater the CW you heard was probably the repeater identifying itself. Probably heard the call sign in Morse every 10 minutes.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler