Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Smittybilt winch solenoid replacement

Inherited a Smittybilt XRC 8000 winch with a corroded/wasted solenoid. Smittybilt only sells the whole control box for $129, thru 4WPH. Some Ramsey solenoids are much cheaper, but would require mods. Anyone have any ideas on a generic or DIY solenoid setup? This winch does not use Warn-type (Ford starter) solenoids, so I can't just swap those in. Thanks - Steve
Old 09-27-2012, 08:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

I don't know what the solenoid looks like you are looking for, but some electric golf cart solenoids are 100% duty cycle units that would keep up with a long pull if you needed it...

Try this site

http://www.dbelectrical.com/c-3405-winch-golf-cart.aspx

Hope this helps
Old 09-27-2012, 09:32 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Inherited a Smittybilt XRC 8000 winch with a corroded/wasted solenoid. Smittybilt only sells the whole control box for $129, thru 4WPH. Some Ramsey solenoids are much cheaper, but would require mods. Anyone have any ideas on a generic or DIY solenoid setup? This winch does not use Warn-type (Ford starter) solenoids, so I can't just swap those in. Thanks - Steve
I'm sure SM doesn't manufacture those solenoids themselves. Look closely at the actual part and see if you can find any type of manufacturer name or part number. Even if you can't find a number, I would then look in the McMasters catalogue and find a unit with similar specs. You can probably find the exact replacement if you dig deep enough.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 09-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

I alternately hear that MileMarker uses the same solenoids and that they are available. The aftermarket sites have a lot of ATV-rated winch solenoids, but not those for a bigger winch. I had not thought of McMaster, but will look there. Thanks for your help.