Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Rock Stacker

Unhappy need a mechanic near Aurora.

I converted (almost) my 1986 pickup from a 22r to a 22re. Bought all parts from Jims salvage, and installed myself. Cant get it started, it back fired once and I stopped so i wouldn't do any damage to my rebuilt motor. I'm not a mechanic but am mechanically inclined. Truck has been in my garage for almost two years (was in afghan for one of those years). Time for a professional to take over. Need some recommendations.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix1 View Post
I converted (almost) my 1986 pickup from a 22r to a 22re. Bought all parts from Jims salvage, and installed myself. Cant get it started, it back fired once and I stopped so i wouldn't do any damage to my rebuilt motor. I'm not a mechanic but am mechanically inclined. Truck has been in my garage for almost two years (was in afghan for one of those years). Time for a professional to take over. Need some recommendations.
i converted my 84 to fuel injection "RE" i can take a look at it for you. i would first double check top dead center, and check the distrbuitor is at the correct point. (should be about 10 oclock position) IIRC. and also make sure that while doing this that the camshaft is also at TDC with the crank. these motors are very simple. so as long as the basics are good then it should run.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Definitely sounds like distributor to me. I assume you've already verified fuel delivery to the injectors, and that the injectors open when commanded?
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 10-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Rock Stacker

@TIMZTOY, Yes if you want to come take a look that would be great.
@Rzeppa, I have been working to figure out the fuel delivery stuff today, but not sure how to test the injectors. I have cracked open the fuel line near motor and i have fuel there. I do have a few wires that I'm not sure where they go.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix1 View Post
@Rzeppa, I have been working to figure out the fuel delivery stuff today, but not sure how to test the injectors. I have cracked open the fuel line near motor and i have fuel there. I do have a few wires that I'm not sure where they go.
OK, if you have fuel in the rail, then the pump is probably working OK. The manual says to put a pressure gauge in there, if I recall correctly, but just observing fuel in there is a good sign. There is a procedure in the manual to test the injectors, but basically, energize one externally (pull the connector and connect the injector terminal straight to 12V) and listen for the click.

But backfire once, seems like probably something else. My first guess is the distributor is stabbed wrong. Maybe 180 off?
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 10-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Rock Stacker

Today I spun it back to TDC and restabbed the rotor. Tried to crank again and it blew my intake hose off. So I'm thinking I need to figure out if I have done somthing wrong with the cam. This has turned into more of a learning experience than I thought. Just gonna go back to square one and recheck everything.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

pull the valve cover.
rotate the crank to top dead center compression cylinder 1
verify that the cam is top dead center.

im off sunday. ill see if i can make the long hike to the east side. dont cross your fingers though. im think im pretty stacked up..
Old 10-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Rock Stacker

Pulled the valve cover rechecked TDC, everything looks good. Pulled intake manifold and fuel rail. Checked each injector with a jumper wire, all clicked and I was able to blow through them while under voltage. The motor will try to start after it sits for a while, but only for a second. Fuel poured out of all the connections, so its getting fuel.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

man it sure sounds like it is a timing or firing order issue to me.

is the firing order right for sure? I seem to remember I got it wrong on a 22re one time for some reason.
82 FJ40
Old 10-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Rock Stacker

I checked everything again and again. Finally I gave up a little piece of my man hood and towed my truck to a shop. They told me my ECU may be bad. It has power going in but none going out to the injectors. How do I know for sure my computer is bad, and where should I get another one? Was quoted almost $500 for a new one.

Tags
22r conversion, 86' toyota, rebuild