Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

He's got a lock-n-roll now so it's going to be however high the receiver is...
TLCA#4180
Old 10-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Club Treasurer

That looks awesome Tim. If it tows well I wouldn't worry too much about the levelness of the trailer.

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 10-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
He's got a lock-n-roll now so it's going to be however high the receiver is...
Looking at the lock-n-roll site it appears they sell different models, including ones that mount to a receiver hitch. I don't know what model Tim got. My max coupler mounts to a receiver so I was able to get the tongue height of the trailer about perfectly level by flipping my receiver from a drop to a slight rise.

Personally I would do whatever is feasible to get the trailer level when towing, especially one of that size and weight...the trailer will tow better and be safer to tow overall. Towing the popup to BFE with the tongue pointing down made for a sometimes scary drive...I could feel the trailer trying to push the ass end of the LX around much more than when the popup is level.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 10-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

Tim,

I'm curious what the approximate cost was to do this? I assume that you have new stabilizing legs etc. as well for when you are camped? I love our popup for the creature comforts but being a lowrider makes it impractical for anything but improved campgrounds - heck, I ripped off another stabilizing jack just backing the stupid thing up the hill to where it gets parked at the in-laws' place...I'm down to one working sabilizing leg - Time to buy some that can be tucked up higher and have Timztoy weld 'em up to the frame for me
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 10-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I can actually pick high or low on the locknroll receiver side, by rotating it 180, but I'm already flipped so the tongue is as high as it gets. I still think it'll go up a couple inches once I get a new bumper, so could be a moot point.

My total cost was about $2200. Few hundred bucks more for the LockNRoll hitch, also getting a new axle was more too. Other upsells included having him paint the whole thing, also the rear receiver, and the little railing around the deck. dave @ toyhaulerconversions.com if you want to get more specific, but figure $1500-$2500 from low to high end.

Stabilizers? I'm still using jack stands. I have a milk crate inside that I just toss them in, along with a set of 3-6" pieces of 4x4's for added height. I picked up a set of RV jack stands at a garage sale this summer to upgrade some of the HF 2 tonners, they have threaded rods but the procedure is the same- get the camper level side to side (usually by digging a hole for the tire on the high side) then lower the tongue so the back is about 3" too high, then position rear jack stands. Crank up the tongue until it's an inch or two too high, then position front jack stands. Lower tongue and the camper is supported 7 ways- 2 wheels, 4 jack stands, and the tongue jack (usually left with little load)

I had to remove my ladder to compensate for the bigger tires, also my wiring is is a mess in front- a flat 4 extension cord from the Depot got me by, but I need to clean it up and actually install the battery. I'm keeping the propane inside as well, just putting it on the deck once I unload the bike, not sure if I'll do a permanent mount for that or not. My best estimate is tongue weight is around 250 pounds, unloaded, so any battery, propane, motorcycle, or piece of firewood just adds to that.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Good info Tim

I'll have to give your way of stabilizing the trailer a try - I have some stands with threaded rods in them that I've been using on the one side that had the stabilizers ripped off and that worked ok...Now that I'm missing 3 stabilizers though, the jack stand method sounds like a good approach.
TLCA #17037

:

Old 10-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Hard Core 4+

Saw one of these the other day. Kinda

http://www.sylvansport.com/camper/mo...-tent-trailer/
Old 10-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Very sweet build Tim. Well done.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Spent a little over-due time this week with the camper. Got a few things knocked out that were on the list:

1. Relocated the propane hookup from the front to the back. This not only frees up valuable front deck space, but also takes a little more weight off the tongue. I had been tossing the propane inside the door until this. I used a HF receiver hitch that I welded on top of the new frame. Cut out the back side so the crank of the camper is now accessed through the receiver This serves as a place to mount a tank today, but ultimately will be just center support for a big piece of diamond plate over the top, which will become my new back bumper. But yes, I have 2 receiver hitches now.

2. Cleaned up most of the wiring, put it inside looms, etc., and mounted the battery. I'm still not convinced I want the battery in the center of the deck and not off to one side, but I did this in a way that's easily movable. I have quite a few attachment points that I've removed from trucks over the years, so was able to re-purpose a few of them for this. Made some backing plates from Simpson ties...

3. Added a few tie-down points to the front deck, including two on the old frame that now hold 2 bolts to secure my new ramp. HF had 2 ramps for $60 on sale so I snagged them, this is great as not only does it upgrade both of my trailers, but I'm able to use the ramp on the camper as my new access to the camper itself, since the stairs had been rendered useless. Once you get over the chicken house feeling, it's actually really stable and easy to use, took it to Argentine a couple weeks ago and the kids adapted easily. I shove the lip of the ramp between the old frame and new frame underneath, literally have to wiggle it for a couple minutes to get it out again... pretty slick.
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Will be using the camper again soon so I'll get a pic of the ramp in action. Also I have one more mod in the works which should be complete by this weekend... will post a pic when done.

And I ordered up a brake controller and wiring kit from etrailer, based on info found in this thread http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=17839 I think I messed something up when I installed the ARB bumper as I have no trailer lights anymore... so I'm scrapping all the old stuff and starting over. Those parts don't get in until Monday though. But long term plan is to get the round 7 plug and actually have brakes, which will be a nice upgrade particularly the next time I'm moving motobikes.

www.gamiviti.com