Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Hunting and Fishing

Old 10-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Default Non-hunter behavior during hunting season?

I've always been curious about the rules and/or etiquette around 4wheeling or biking or hiking or camping during hunting season. Like I'm pretty sure it's not allowed to discharge a gun when it's dark out, right? I guess I'm more interested in not doing something silly that gets me shot at..

so other than leaving the reindeer antler hat at home, what kind of suggestions would the hunters give to the non-hunters? Are most of the areas we wheel also open to hunting? Barbour Fork comes to mind, this time of year it's all about hunting, or at least that's what it seems from what I see laying on the ground.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Obviously, it is a hunter's responsibility to be fully certain of what they are shooting at, and to operate their fire-arm(s) safely.

However, given that not everyone may be trustworthy who is out with a gun, it isn't a terrible idea to throw some blaze orange on if you are hiking/biking in an area that is open for hunting. Wheeling, I dunno. I mean, you are by your vehicle. But, its still not a terrible idea. Especially on kids.

Basically, just make yourself visible, and easy to tell apart from an animal. No one is going to shoot you intentionally, but making sure they can see you and easily identify you as a human is a good way to keep from being mistaken for game.

Just my .02.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 10-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

I agree with Isaac about the blaze orange. I would put lots of it on anything I didn't want holes shot in. Also there are some new laws that were introduced a few years back about interfering with hunting. Below is a little snippet from the hunting brochure.
I don't think most people care if you are just passing through an area, but then again there are always those that are buttheads.
As far as areas open to hunting most everything in the national forests or on many of the states lands will blanketed with hunters.

"Interfere with hunters. This includes distracting
or frightening prey; causing prey to flee by
using light or noise; chasing prey on foot or by
vehicle; throwing objects; making movements;
harassing hunters by using threats or actions;
erecting barriers to deny access to hunting areas
and intentionally injecting yourself into the line
of fire. Violators face prosecution and may have
to pay victim’s damages and court costs."
TLCA#21035
My Cruiser videos on Youtube
Old 10-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Trail Ready

In muzzleloading and archery, I would go out. In rifle season, forget it. Too many yahoos running around ready to shoot.

If you must go, blaze orange on head and center mass is a must.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

+1 on blaze orange. I generally stay off public land during hunting season unless I'm hunting. There is a wide range of "skills" and temperaments in the woods during hunting season and I prefer to avoid the more clueless hunters where ever possible.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I really wouldn't worry about getting shot intentionally! Wearing a blaze orange hat is always a great idea in the hills this time of year. However, stray and deflected bullets do fly and no amount of blaze orange seems to deter them!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-09-2012, 01:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowrun View Post
Also there are some new laws that were introduced a few years back about interfering with hunting.
Yup. My law firm has a Wildlife Law practice. http://www.wildlifelawyer.com/ Not me so much but I just closed a business sale in the industry.

Colorado Revised Statutes 33-6-115.5. Hunting, trapping, and fishing - intentional interference with lawful activities

(1) No person shall willfully prevent or interfere with the lawful participation of any individual in the activity of hunting, trapping, or fishing in accordance with this article.
(2) A person commits intentional interference with lawful hunting, trapping, and fishing activities if he:
(a) Acts with intent to alarm, distract, or frighten prey and causes prey to flee by:
(I) Use of any natural or artificial source of noise or light;
(II) Giving chase to prey on foot or by use of any vehicle;
(III) Throwing objects or making movements;
(b) Intentionally harasses any person lawfully participating in the activity of hunting, trapping, and fishing by use of threats or actions;
(c) Erects barriers with the intent to deny ingress to lawfully designated hunting, trapping, and fishing areas;
(d) Intentionally interjects himself into the line of fire;
(e) Engages in any other conduct with the intent to disrupt or prevent lawful hunting, trapping, and fishing activities.
(3) Any person who violates this section commits a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, shall be punished by a fine of not less than five hundred dollars nor more than one thousand dollars and an assessment of twenty license suspension points.
(4) Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be liable for all damages incurred by the individual whose lawful activity was obstructed and for all court costs of prosecution.
(5) Nothing in this section shall limit the actions of law enforcement officers and personnel of the division of wildlife in the performance of their official duties nor apply to landowners, tenants, or leaseholders exercising their legal rights to the enjoyment of land, including, but not limited to, farming, ranching, and restricting trespass, nor will anything in this section be construed to prohibit any incidental interference arising from the lawful use of land or water.

Cite as C.R.S 33-6-115.5
Old 10-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
Yup. My law firm has a Wildlife Law practice. http://www.wildlifelawyer.com/ Not me so much but I just closed a business sale in the industry.

Colorado Revised Statutes 33-6-115.5. Hunting, trapping, and fishing - intentional interference with lawful activities

(1) No person shall willfully prevent or interfere with the lawful participation of any individual in the activity of hunting, trapping, or fishing in accordance with this article.
(2) A person commits intentional interference with lawful hunting, trapping, and fishing activities if he:
(a) Acts with intent to alarm, distract, or frighten prey and causes prey to flee by:
(I) Use of any natural or artificial source of noise or light;
(II) Giving chase to prey on foot or by use of any vehicle;
(III) Throwing objects or making movements;
(b) Intentionally harasses any person lawfully participating in the activity of hunting, trapping, and fishing by use of threats or actions;
(c) Erects barriers with the intent to deny ingress to lawfully designated hunting, trapping, and fishing areas;
(d) Intentionally interjects himself into the line of fire;
(e) Engages in any other conduct with the intent to disrupt or prevent lawful hunting, trapping, and fishing activities.
(3) Any person who violates this section commits a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, shall be punished by a fine of not less than five hundred dollars nor more than one thousand dollars and an assessment of twenty license suspension points.
(4) Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be liable for all damages incurred by the individual whose lawful activity was obstructed and for all court costs of prosecution.
(5) Nothing in this section shall limit the actions of law enforcement officers and personnel of the division of wildlife in the performance of their official duties nor apply to landowners, tenants, or leaseholders exercising their legal rights to the enjoyment of land, including, but not limited to, farming, ranching, and restricting trespass, nor will anything in this section be construed to prohibit any incidental interference arising from the lawful use of land or water.

Cite as C.R.S 33-6-115.5
That is a really interesting site.
TLCA#21035
My Cruiser videos on Youtube
Old 10-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Please please do wear blaze orange. I carry spare cheap vests to give to clueless hikers... and have, politely and repeatedly, in the past. In every case they have appreciated it and their newfound awareness.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

I always wonder what Dave said in his repeated deleted posts...
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.