Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

Talked with Derek at Stevinson this morning. He couldn't find where the TPS is available as a separate piece for my truck, noting that I would need to buy the TB assembly. He showed four of those sold in the recent history on his computer. The low, low price for the TB? $1100 retail. Let's hope the troubleshooting points to something else
Old 09-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Club Treasurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodheart View Post
Talked with Derek at Stevinson this morning. He couldn't find where the TPS is available as a separate piece for my truck, noting that I would need to buy the TB assembly.
That doesn't sound right B.J. I am pretty sure that we had Joe at CTS here in Conifer replace the TPS on the 's 2000 4Runner 3.4 last fall. I can dig through my receipts and let you know this afternoon. If you need it I can probably get you the part number.

When her truck first started stumbling it turned out to be coil packs going bad. We replaced one and shortly after that another went south, so we replaced them all. That was more of a stumble off idle. Many months later it developed a miss similar to what you describe. Pretty sure that was solved by replacing the TPS. Although it was throwing codes each time - misfire code on the coil packs and fuel trim code on the TPS problem. Also, as a data point, her truck has over 200K on it.

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 09-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks Dan, I think I may have found something. Though the 03-04 Tacos have a unique electronic throttle, I think the TPS is the same. Not sure on the 4Runner. I do know you can get the TPS for the 01-02 3.4 Taco. A friend with a shop looked it up and ordered what we think is the right part. Also realized I transposed lines on my service records, and didn't do plugs when I thought I did. Will pick up a set from Derek tomorrow.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:54 AM
Rising Sun Member

Well, no dice on a replacement TPS. My P/N is 89452-35030. No replacement available, and Toyota specifies a new throttle body as the replacement. That's a bummer!

Changed the plugs and wires last night with Toyota parts. Cleaned the APPS and TPS connections while I was in there. I need to do some flat highway driving to see how things are behaving, but it feels like the stumble is still there.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

So, just to close this one out... I did some more testing and the issue seemed to be with the APPS. Picked up a low-mileage throttle body from Oleg, and and things are back as they should be.