Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-11-2012, 08:05 PM

thanks for your input and i think your right, put in the 79 2f see how it runs and go from there. when the 78 was up and running i had it registered in clear creek county, no emmissions required, that was when my family still lived up there.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Rising Sun member

I agree with Jeff and Martin, problem is that with a '78 you will have to do the emissions dance every year, and I wonder how long the aircare droids will only know to look for the air pump. I bet they'll start being more strict about emissions equipment as time goes along.

Just like my dad's 80 - it passed emissions for years with only 1 cat until they started figuring out that 80s needed 2 cats. It failed visual last year due to only that.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Matt, I think your Dad just happened upon the only guy in the complex that knew the vehicle needed 2 cats. With the turnover at air care, I doubt they have too many people saavy on the smog equipment for a 2F engine. They don't even know how to open the hood on mine...Granted, there is always that one guy....
Old 10-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Rising Sun member

You may be right Kurt, but I know in California they know and test every little bit of the emissions system (they even know about the thermo-nuclear reactor exhaust manifold, which even a lot of Cruiser guys don't know about!). Those guys have a nightmare to go through out there! I don't know if Colorado will get to be that bad, but just sayin'.

Just another point to add from Christo:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeoffroad View Post
The last 4 to five times we took a vehicle to the emissions on McIntire and 58th, the checked the number of cats and failed if it was not right. The one on Wadsworth, did not. Go figure.

I am ready to move to someplace without this BS.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-15-2012, 04:41 PM

WHEN i get the engines swapped out, i'll just do the trial and error procedure untill it passes. subzali i will post some pics of the 78 2f on thursday, just started a new shift at work going from graveyard shift 12hr to day shift 12hr.