Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 10-22-2012, 10:12 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Default Needles camping, Canyonlands Oct 19-21

What a wonderful trip. I think at some point during the weekend everyone told me this was a “best ever,” which for me makes all the planning worth it. Best hike ever… best camping trip ever… most fun I’ve ever had getting lost in the desert with my kids… the list just goes on.

We started the run with 6 trucks, hauling 12 adults and 14 kids. 3 80’s (Bruce & wife Judy, Kipper & wife Cary + 2 kids, Dave & wife Michelle + 4 kids) and 3 100’s (myself & wife Michele + 2 kids, Chris D. & wife Melinda + 2 kids, Chris B. & wife Shana + 2 kids). We met at City Market on Friday morning as planned, and rolled out by 10:00 to the Needles area.

Our first stop after checking in was the Cave Spring hike- a short 0.6 mile hike that included a mock-up cowboy camp, a real oasis, and 2 wooden ladders… was a great way to start the trip. Once back at our trucks we aired down & did a quick lunch break, then proceeded to run E-Hill to Devil’s Kitchen.

I didn’t take many pics, but many others did so I suspect there will be some. I did stick the Go Pro up on the rack and take one every 60 seconds for the journey to the Kitchen, a few of them actually look pretty good here are the highlights.
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Last edited by nakman; 10-22-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

So awesome, Tim!
I am so disappointed to have missed this trip. Can't wait to see more pics!

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 10-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Canyonlands Needles run

Had a great time! Thanks Tim for putting this run together.

We planned a family solo run for a few days and then catching up with the group in Devil's Kitchen but we got a later start than originally anticipated, so we decided to stay more local Moab vs. the long haul to the Maze District.

All in all it was a great family trip and hoping we can return again once more in 2012...

Checked in with our desert expert in Eagle..

Stopped at the Hot Tomato in Fruita for dinner..

Family hike in Arches

Lunch spot "somewhere" outside of Arches..

After gathering with the group at City Market Friday morning, we came across this 70 series at the News Paper Rock parking lot...Maruice from South Africa and his wife, were headed to Central America next after visiting the Moab area..

Devil's Kitchen #3

Sunset in Devil's Kitchen does not disappoint!

Headed to Joint trail hike

Hikers ready?

Serious sandbox work in Devil's kitchen....There was an hour or so post dinner where all the kids gravitated to the sand with cars, etc.. they were all really focused and us parents were standing looking at the view, good music in the background...It was pretty cool.

Heading out on Sunday and Elephant Hill

KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com

Last edited by Caribou Sandstorm; 10-23-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Later that afternoon we said goodbye to the Nay family, who chose to return to Arches and the camp they had left that morning. Was cool to wheel with the Avocado for a little bit and spend some time with them, glad they joined us for at least the day. Bruce & Judy did an additional hike that afternoon, while I led the families on one of my now infamous “get lost right behind camp” hikes, a journey that took us up, under, through, and between the spectacular slot canyons that surround the area. I think every kid was hand lifted up or down something at least 6x… what a cool hike.

The next day we set out over SOB hill to the Joint Trail, where the awesomeness actually eclipsed the prior day, treating everyone to the amazing adventure that trail has to offer, one of those you really need to just see for yourself. Just before the Chesler Park look-out section, Bruce & Judy again set out for some additional hiking challenge and tackled the Druid Arch trail, while the rest of the families headed back for a leisurely lunch. SOB hill is actually a little big dug out again, and offered a nice challenge coming back uphill towards camp.

That afternoon was more camp exploring, digging, vehicle mod discussions, and relaxing, all the stuff you hope to do while on vacation. It was dinner time before we knew it, a little windier on Saturday but nothing we couldn’t handle. That’s also the end of my pictures…. I will see if I can get a few from the real photographer of the family, until then here you go.
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

Love the Go-Pro Pics! Left mine in the car... doh!
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 10-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Yesterday was a long day in the car, but worth it. I hit every single piece of armor on my truck coming back down E-Hill, that aluminum makes a horrendous sound when you smash rocks against it... but after inspection I can't even really see a scratch, cool. We were aired up at the visitor's center by 11:30, did a quick lunch there then headed back north. We were back home at 7:30, with really only one stop in Dillon for dinner. Was delighted that there wasn't much I-70 traffic.

I really like Moab in October- the leaves are totally peaking down there.... so if you didn't get enough of that a few weeks ago in Colorado, you get to see it again in Utah. Also, it gets dark at about 7:00... which is sweet for roasting marsh mellows and still getting the kids to bed at a reasonable time. In fact, even with a couple extra "adult hours," we were still going to bed at 10:00 or so.. kinda lame by some standards, but also kinda cool when everyone's up at first light. We're totally going back next fall.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

looks like a great trip. thanks for the pics.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Looks like so much fun! Did I see your old sleeping platform double as a lunchtime table too? Nice!

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 10-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I see lots of grins
TLCA#4180
Old 10-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Here are a couple more from 's phone.. the first panoramic is the overlook of Chesler Park, the second is the view from camp at Devil's Kitchen.
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com