Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default ARP Hub Studs

Anyone ever use these? http://www.trail-gear.com/arp-2000-hub-stud-kit

Not the most popular vendor I know. I pulled one of my rear axles out tonight and the hub studs have a fair share of corrosion. Other side is soaking in penetrating oil overnight. Considering replacing them.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 10-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Rising Sun Member

I replace my studs anytime I rebuild an axle (Front or Rear) as part of my semi normal routine for a baseline rebuild.

I won't touch Trail Gear, but I have tried to find ARP studs from other vendors (because the ARP studs make a lot of sense to me) and haven't found any.

Dan
Old 10-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

Dan,

Why do you replace them at every rebuild? The OEM torque spec is so low I can't see a lot of fatigue issues. Mine are just rusty so I'm thinking about it.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 10-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Lifted

I have broken the hub/flange interface on my front axle several times, I installed addition larger dowels from longfield + his chormo drive flanges, no more problems You could do the dowel upgrade to your FF, you would have an addition step of drilling the shafts also.

http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/p...our-Toyota-Hub
Old 10-24-2012, 03:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

I've thought about that but not sure if I'm hardcore enough to warrant on 35's with no plans for larger as its a daily driver too.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 10-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Anyone ever use these? http://www.trail-gear.com/arp-2000-hub-stud-kit

Not the most popular vendor I know. I pulled one of my rear axles out tonight and the hub studs have a fair share of corrosion. Other side is soaking in penetrating oil overnight. Considering replacing them.
I've used them and they work fine. I'm not sure what issues people have with Trail-Gear but I've bought tons of stuff from them. They have the best prices, their customer service and return policy have always been good and I have never had a complaint about them. I never had any of their stuff break either, even the stuff they manufacture themselves.

Keep in mind the studs you are buying are made by ARP, reagrdless of who is selling them, and they are considered the standard in the industry for making the highest quality/strength threaded connectors of all types. I used to break the knuckle studs in the Meanie (GM 1 tons axles) until I replaced them with ARP studs, they haven't broken since.

They may be overkill in your application but it never hurts to beef things up a little.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 10-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
I've used them and they work fine. I'm not sure what issues people have with Trail-Gea.
When chris started trailmart, he was.working for marlin and he essentially stole all of marlins product designs, then undercut marlin and released marlins new products before marlin. Chris no longer is involved with trail gear, nut many don't know that and/or still hold a grudge. Even the toy pickup crowd gets defensive when someone messes with a great person/vendor
ige tlca #1431
Old 10-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Dan,

Why do you replace them at every rebuild? The OEM torque spec is so low I can't see a lot of fatigue issues. Mine are just rusty so I'm thinking about it.
Not every rebuild, but every first rebuild that I do. That way I know the condition they are in when I start with them. There's a lot of stress and strain that can hide in those studs, so I like to start with a fresh set for my stuff. I tend to drive pretty smoothly, and I don't have anything in the way too much power/super big tires range, so it's just so that I know the studs haven't been overstressed in the past that I replace them the first time I rebuild something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
When chris started trailmart, he was.working for marlin and he essentially stole all of marlins product designs, then undercut marlin and released marlins new products before marlin. Chris no longer is involved with trail gear, nut many don't know that and/or still hold a grudge. Even the toy pickup crowd gets defensive when someone messes with a great person/vendor
That's my reason. My wife gets a Christmas card from Marlin. We're loyal. I have no experience dealing with Trail Gear directly, but that's the reason I stay away.

Dan