Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-19-2012, 11:42 PM
Wincher

Question CO2 tank question

Has anyone ever used the Smittybilt CO2 tanks, or know of someone that has? They've been out for a number of years now, so I would think there must be some information about them.
3" Revtek lift, 16x8 Eagle Alloys, 285/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac,, Shrockworks Sliders, Cobra 75WX ST CB, BudBuilt Skid Plates, Daystar Rear Bumper Guard, ARB front Bull Bar, Warn 9.5 XP winch, CO2 tank, Yaesu VX-6R Dual-Band Ham radio
Jim
KD0MGU

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

http://www.sharetrails.org/

“Preserving Our Natural Resources FOR The Public, Instead Of FROM The Public!”
Old 10-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Wincher

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-W...90&t_pl=101739
You could probably still build your own for less. I only see a 10lb'r. Kinda small.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Wincher

Thumbs down

Well I got some really disconcerting news. I picked up a Smittybilt CO2 tank at truckfest, this past summer. I was calling around trying to find a place that would fill it. One place told me that they would NOT fill any Smittybilt CO2 tank, because they are not sure the tank is certified properly, and have heard about the regulator blowing out on them. He told me that PowerTank, in Calif. is doing some testing on these Smittybilt CO2 tanks. So, to me, it sounds like the Smittybilt CO2 tanks may have the proper stampings on them, but they may be bogus. Now I'm second guessing my choice of getting this tank in the first place. Maybe I should just return the dang thing.
3" Revtek lift, 16x8 Eagle Alloys, 285/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac,, Shrockworks Sliders, Cobra 75WX ST CB, BudBuilt Skid Plates, Daystar Rear Bumper Guard, ARB front Bull Bar, Warn 9.5 XP winch, CO2 tank, Yaesu VX-6R Dual-Band Ham radio
Jim
KD0MGU

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

you can always get it tested. I think 5 year cert is something like $10 at red comet.
TLCA#4180
Old 10-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerdo View Post
You could probably still build your own for less. I only see a 10lb'r. Kinda small.
10lb is actually a normal size. co2 compresses more than air, so you dont need a big tank
ige tlca #1431
Old 10-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Wincher

Well, I don’t know what to think. I had the CO2 tank filled at Red Comet, in Northglenn, today and bought a mounting bracket from them. They didn’t see anything wrong with the tank, so who knows.
Jim
KD0MGU

Old 10-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

I have no experience with them, so I have nothing to add as to their quality.

Although, I can't imagine them staying in business very long with their tanks blowing out, right? If a top was ever blown off one these tanks I bet it could shoot right out the side of a vehicle.

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 10-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Wincher

It sounds like you did buy one. You will have to do a review after you get to use it a few times.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Wincher

Yeah, I got it a few months ago, but just had it filled yesterday. And after hearing that one place in town would not fill it, I was second guessing myself for buying it. Will see how well it works and let you know.
Jim
KD0MGU