Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Rear wheel bearings - Moly Grease?

Anyone know of a reason why I definitely should not use moly grease in my rear hubs/wheel bearings? The old grease poured out like water 157K and the first service on the rear axle.

Don't really want to make a trip to town tomorrow. I generally use the moly on the front wheel bearings without issue.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 11-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Lifted

I thought the rear bearings are lubricated with the gear oil in the axle; no grease required...??? I could easily be wrong.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcromntic View Post
I thought the rear bearings are lubricated with the gear oil in the axle; no grease required...??? I could easily be wrong.
I could be too. I am yet to read the manual on the rebuild. I'm just assuming grease. But it would explain the low viscosity drain out.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 11-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

This happens when the inner seal fails and the bearings get washed out with gear oil. From my reading on mud it sounds like the gear oil is a better lubricant than the grease, so as long as it was sufficient quantity should be ok. Not sure about the use of moly on the bearings I just used regular wheel bearing grease on mine.

Quote:
Old 11-04-2012, 04:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

No it is not gear lube for the rear bearing, it is as Corey state. As for moly or not. If the grease is rated for wheel bearings it should be OK. You have tested it out on the front wheel bearing, and it should be all OK. Many Moly fortified greases are rated for Wheel bearing these days.
In the past, the moly was not small enough in the formulas and it could cause the roller bearing to seize on the race for just a moment. Then over time, the roller would get a flat spot and take out the race.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks Robbie, according to Valvoline the grease is rated for disc brake wheel bearings, chassis, suspension, and u-joints. http://www.valvoline.com/products/co...-oil/grease/65
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 11-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
That is true for Semi Floaters. Full floating rears like on FZJ80s and non-USA cruisers have a seal like the front that keeps the 90wt in the diff side and grease on the bearings. Full floaters use a pair of tapered bearings that are preloaded with a big nut just like the front, semi floaters like our USA-spec 40, 55s and 60 series (and FJ80s) use roller bearings which ride inside the seal and are lubricated with the same 90wt as the diff.

As far as Corbet's question, I have always used regular Valvoline red grease on my rear full floater bearings.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 11-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

I should have posted full float originally.

I ended up using my moly grease on the rear too.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 11-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
No it is not gear lube for the rear bearing, it is as Corey state. As for moly or not. If the grease is rated for wheel bearings it should be OK. You have tested it out on the front wheel bearing, and it should be all OK. Many Moly fortified greases are rated for Wheel bearing these days.
In the past, the moly was not small enough in the formulas and it could cause the roller bearing to seize on the race for just a moment. Then over time, the roller would get a flat spot and take out the race.
Does this extend to ujoints as well? I'd love to just be able to buy just molly grease and not worry about running out of one or the other.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

The Valvoline product I use is also rated for U-joint applications. I posted the link above. I have been using in in u-joints and the driveshaft slip joint.

I also prefer to just buy one product if possible.
2004 Starcraft 10RT