Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Take the carb off! And x5 on what everyone's said about OEM gaskets for the manifold. What year is your 2F? There are a number of differences. CAREFULLY check the gaskets that go between the insulator and the carb and the intake and exhaust. I *think* the latter is now unobtanium but there may be a few floating around he parts system. I know what Marco wrote about machining the intake and exhaust as a pair flat is widely accepted, but 2 of the 3 bolts that hold the intake to the exhaust go into the aluminum intake and are prone to stripping the aluminum threads.

Don't ask me why I know this...
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 11-24-2012, 05:38 PM

I think my 2f is out of a fj60 from the early 80's. That's my best guess. If I can't find those gaskets or my intake gets trashed whats my options. Think this job is not gonna be done by me, might be paying a shop.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

You can do it. If you use the remflex gasket and r&r the manifolds fast and dont split them I'd bet you can do it all in a day on a weekend day. On a week maybe two nights. All the gaskets were available for my 82 fj40's 2f when I did mine.
82 FJ40
Old 11-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Rising Sun member

Couple thoughts:
1. Take the carb off. It's only 4 nuts and disconnecting some linkage and vacuum hoses.
2. The FSM says to loosely bolt up the manifold assembly to the head and check for any gaps. If there are none you don't need to machine anything. I didn't have to and mine seals fine.
3. Always tighten the bolts up that hold the manifolds to the head first, then tighten the bolts between the manifolds.
3. Also check the hole where the hot air diverter flapper thingy goes through the casting and make sure you're not leaking too much there.
4. Did your desmog eliminate the EGR cooler? Check to make sure your EGR block-off plate isn't leaking if so.
5. Exhaust dump location sounds pretty good, shouldn't be having problems there.

Start reading at this post for a very detailed picture description of how to install the manifolds:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php...&postcount=152
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-26-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Couple thoughts:
1. Take the carb off. It's only 4 nuts and disconnecting some linkage and vacuum hoses.
2. The FSM says to loosely bolt up the manifold assembly to the head and check for any gaps. If there are none you don't need to machine anything. I didn't have to and mine seals fine.
3. Always tighten the bolts up that hold the manifolds to the head first, then tighten the bolts between the manifolds.
3. Also check the hole where the hot air diverter flapper thingy goes through the casting and make sure you're not leaking too much there.
4. Did your desmog eliminate the EGR cooler? Check to make sure your EGR block-off plate isn't leaking if so.
5. Exhaust dump location sounds pretty good, shouldn't be having problems there.

Start reading at this post for a very detailed picture description of how to install the manifolds:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php...&postcount=152
1. Egr cooler, is that the box next to the block with the corrugated tubing? I haven't seen any soot deposits anywhere but I'll check when I get back in town.
desmogged 2f, 4 speed
TLCA #21898
Old 11-27-2012, 08:21 AM
Rising Sun member

Yes, that is the EGR cooler.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

Check the other end of the EGR cooler tube where it bolts to the bottom of the manifold. A pretty common leak point, especially on earlier 2F models.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:44 AM

Check, I'll look at it. All this started when I had a backfire. Never had it happen before and it hasn't since. I traced my exhaust from the rear to the front and couldn't find any splits. So that's why I just assumed it may be the gasket, thinking that's the weakest part in the system. And also by the "noise" I get when accelerating.
desmogged 2f, 4 speed
TLCA #21898
Old 11-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
You will smell exhaust and fuel for as long as you own and drive a fj40. I sold mine 6 years ago and I can still smell it.
You beat me to it, Farnham.. was going to post almost the exact same thing.

great tech thread though, dang! almost wish I had a 2f..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-27-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Check the other end of the EGR cooler tube where it bolts to the bottom of the manifold. A pretty common leak point, especially on earlier 2F models.
Is that needed on my rig? Or should that have been removed for the desmog? I did a little looking and saw some pics how that is plumbed in. Guessing it just "recycles" exhaust for another attempt to burn it up. Hot exhaust goes into the cooler and the fins dissipate heat. Then the "cooler" gas is sucked into the intake when the valve is opened. Does the valve open at certain rpms? Or is it disabled since my engine has been desmogged?
desmogged 2f, 4 speed
TLCA #21898

Last edited by bigcity25; 11-27-2012 at 11:16 PM.